Monday, December 7, 2009

Advent realization

Part of the reason that video in the last post resonated so deeply for me is that I spent a good part of last week worrying that I was pregnant with what would be our seventh child. I woke up one morning with a sinking feeling that you are not supposed to have when you are married. And for the next couple of days, I fretted over how to fit another car seat into the car, how to respond to all the negative comments we were sure to receive, how to give up my increased liberty of movement and time, all very self-conscious and selfish fears.

But what I was really worried about was how I could parent another child when the ones I have seem so desperate for attention that I seem unable to satisfy. My 3, 5 and 7 yr olds fight over who gets to sit next to me at meals. After school my other kids are constantly yelling over each other to tell me things or reaching out to me for hugs, while instead I give them stiff little pats. I am not the affectionate type and feel like all elbows and bones when people try to hug me. While I have no trouble loving and holding little babies, I have a harder time responding to the demands of the bigger children they grow up to be.


Maybe I’m overanalyzing their needs. I didn’t read the Time magazine article about “overparenting,” only reviews of it, partly because I’m afraid I might recognize some of myself in it. Perhaps I try to make up for what I lack in affectionate behavior by over-managing homework and play time.

Anyway, my anxiety ridden response to a possible pregnancy surprised even me. I’ve been sort of expecting that we would have another child – a surprise baby in our last years of fertility. I haven’t given away all the baby clothes, and I’ve been listening sympathetically to a couple of older friends, both of whom have 5 or 6 kids, talk about how they’d like to have another. For a while I liked to say we “practiced” NFP and weren’t very good at it, but 3 years after our last, maybe I was starting to get a little overconfident. And a little too comfortable in the status quo.

In my frustration at making a “mistake,” I moaned and berated myself, grousing and griping and being very unpleasant to be around. Sorry, family. And here it is Advent, when we’re supposed to be eagerly anticipating a Baby, the gift of Life.

Then one afternoon while driving home from school, I started thinking of names that we haven’t used yet. And by giving this potential thing a name, I finally began to think of it as a baby, as a person, as someone new to love.
Snuck into Confession before going to a Christmas party, and finished the weekend without so many worries, only regret that I’d been such a bear to everyone, especially so unnecessarily, as no telltale signs of pregnancy have showed up. And now maybe I am a little sorry not to add a little more drama to life.
Perhaps a benefit of this little episode is that it has heightened my commitment to an Advent resolution of putting aside fear about the future. So in that vein here are a couple good quotes from Watch for the Light:

This from Fr. Alfred Delp who died in a Nazi prison:

There is perhaps nothing we modern people need more than to be genuinely shaken up. Where life is firm we need to sense its firmnees; and where it is unstable and uncertain and has no basis, no foundation, we need to know this too and endure it. … And now God strikes the earth till it resounds, now he shakes and shatters; not to pound us with fear, but to teach us one thing – the spirit’s innermost moving and being moved.

And this from Johann Christoph Arnold:

Love is a tangible reality. Sometimes it demands hard work and sacrifice . . . As my great-aunt Else laying dying of tuberculosis, a friend asked her if she had one last wish. She replied, “Only to love more.” If we live our lives in love, we will know peace now, and at the hour of death. And we will not be afraid.

6 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

God bless you, Emily! Oh, if we could only remember to pray and rest in God every time He allows the shaking.

BettyDuffy said...

Definitely relate to the affection thing. A Husted gene probably.

Sally Thomas said...

Oh, I don't know -- I've often felt much the same way, as if in attending to whatever child seems the neediest at the moment, I can't also attend to the others who are just as needy. And then I become crabby and awful, so that what they need me to do is shut up and go away.

This month I hit the "official menopause" button -- quite early, as I'm only 45. (and my great hope is that that explains why I'm so crabby . . . ) As much as I'm willing to concede that my hands are as full as they need to be, I find it difficult not to envy my friend who's 47 and pregnant -- except that she's pregnant with number ten, and her second child, now 22, has profound developmental disabilities, so I have to remind myself that wanting one possibility means being willing to take on the whole spectrum, which is a good cure for envy . . . Still, God seems to give her the grace to keep going.

And I've still got those unused names rattling around in my head. That's a hard habit to break.

Great post, anyway. I have had those very thoughts so often, that exact same process . . .

mrsdarwin said...

Wait, so... yea or nay? I mean, aside from learning a valuable spiritual lesson, did you find out whether you actually are pregnant?

Emily J. said...

Honestly, Mrs. D, it's still a little too early to tell if I'm PG or not, but I don't feel like I am, which is almost a little disappointing after starting to get used to the idea. It was your felicitous announcement that reminded me that late phase 2 can still be fertile.

Gretchen, thanks for the blessing! The resting in God is what I need to work on - to do less, and to listen more.

Sally, why is it when you're trying to be loving and do something nice, you end up being crabbier than ever because that's not the moment the kids need your love? Why do they want it when you're tired and need some affirmation yourself? I don't know whether to offer congrats or condolences on menopause. I used to think my mom overreacted to her aging process - until I started experiencing it myself. What, not 18 forever? So I try to hang out with people older than me! There's a part of me that believes that seventh baby will come whenever we're ready, but again, I've got to relinquish that control issue, and let the spirit move when it will.

Emily J. said...

So I just watched the trailer at the end of this post: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2009/12/07/baby-its-cold-outside/
about a movie about babies.
Maybe if I had done that last week, I wouldn't have had anything to post yesterday!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket