Saturday, December 18, 2010

Making a list

I'd like to leave a post here about our handmade Christmas gifts and all the traditions we've been practicing and happy memories made, but since I would be lying, instead I'll just wish everyone a Merry Christmas.  We leave before the morning star rises tomorrow morning to return to the land of my birth, the land of snow and ice, the land a long 12 hour drive north. 

The car is packed. The pets have gone to their vacation homes. The mail is stopped. The playlists are updated. Most of the gifts are stowed in secret spots. The coffee pot is ready to brew a pot to go. But I leave many items unfinished. On the other hand, I also am leaving behind worrying about whether I got just the right thing, or that I didn't get Christmas letters in the mail yet, or that I never did get around to making all the cookies the kids wanted. We did make it to Confession today, and now all those priority to-do items don't seem quite so important. I'm sorry for being snappish and selfish about my agenda all these days of Advent. I hope the kids don't grow up with memories of their mother the grinch.

Maybe on the long drive I'll get around to reading some of those Christmas stories I meant to read to them.

We did find time to take a matchy Christmas photo at the souvenir shop. At least the dog smiled.


1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

That is a great photo! By now you are on your journey. God bless and keep you in the love of Christmas--or at least coming back to it!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket