Friday, January 28, 2011

Wisdom from Dubus

I'm subbing at the high school library today (joy! Can I do this always?) and came across this quote from Andre Dubus in one of the books to be reshelved, The Catholic Passion: Rediscovering the Power and Beauty of the Faith by David Scott.  The quote speaks to the motion I have felt in my heart after this week's tragedies:
Living in the world as a cripple allows you to see more clearly the crippled hearts of some people whose bodies are whole and sound.... And while most of us, nearly all of us, have compassion and love in our hearts, we cannot or will not see these barely visible wounds of other human beings, and so cannot or will not pick up the telephone or travel to someone's home or write a note or make some other seemingly trifling gesture to give to someone what only we, and God, can give: an hour's respite, or a day's, or a night's; and sometimes more than respite: sometimes joy.
A call to small actions.

Although I have read some of his short stories, I didn't know that Dubus was struck by a car while helping a woman and was injuried so badly that one of his legs was amputated, and he never regained use of the other.

No comments:

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket