1. What is it about being the second daughter? My older daughter loves soccer, swimming, and plays legos and playmos with her brothers. My younger girl, on the other hand, is very interested in kissing and romance. She paints her nails without permission. She does her own hair with bows and flowers. She rolls over the waistband of her shorts to make them shorter. She giggles when mom and dad kiss. She asked for a bra last night at the dinner table. She’s five. Her aunt, also a second daughter, did stuff like this. Truth in birth order.
2. All of my kids just finished participating in a summer drama production of Snow White. It has been the ideal summer activity because all six kids were involved, the cost was minimal, and it required only a couple hours of participation a few days a week, so it made us feel like we were doing something without taking up all our time. Everyone who tried out got a part, although the older boys just wanted to be the set crew. The youngers have loved getting dressed up and performing. Do we have a future in performance arts? I think not. They seem to think that “Use expression” means speak louder.
3. Moving. Yes, we are moving still. I should not be sitting here typing. I should be organizing, shredding, disposing, cleaning, calling … But I can’t focus right now. We’ve done our medical, physical, and vision screening. We’ve received vaccinations. We’ve sold our washer and dryer and one of our cars. We have passports. The first round of packers came this morning and left with some kitchen stuff, linens, a few toys and books, and our bikes. That’s our fast shipment, the stuff that will console us while we hang out in temporary lodging until we find a place to live. Next Friday the storage packers come, and the following week the big truck arrives, and a crew will spend about 3 days packing and loading the rest of the junk. We do not have plane tickets. We do not have a place to stay when we get there, although we should have base housing within a month -- housing that is about 1000 sq. ft. smaller than what we have. I still have to place a hold on the mail and call the utilities. We still have too much stuff. And I’m having trouble throwing away used pencils and school notebooks.
4. My older sons are on a retreat. My oldest asked if he should pack his “Levi’s.” Only he pronounced it with a short e sound, like a levy. Should I be relieved that he’s so clueless about fashion at 14 – or worried? I guess his baby sister can keep him up to date.
5. Our other activity these first few weeks of summer, besides drama and the drama of moving, has been summer soccer for the youngers. It’s 100 degrees with 90% humidity, and they are out there running around like ants for an hour. My 6 year old scored 12 goals in his last game. His team won 14 to 1. The other team scored during the quarter my son was sitting out. I probably should have asked the director if he could play up in the 7-9 year old league because he turns 7 in a couple of weeks, but by that time the season is over. Although I’m proud of him for playing so well, it’s a little embarrassing. He isn’t even being a ball hog – he passes it when he can. But he’s like a magnet for the goal. And he has been practicing with his older brothers.
6. Decided to home school the four youngers. They asked to be homeschooled, although the 6 year old thinks he’s going to have more time to play, and the 8 year old thinks she’s going to have more time for snacks. But it’s a good excuse to keep some books; I just hope I will not get distracted by too many options, or discouraged by reluctant scholars.
7. Sorting through mementoes, letters, notes, photos, etc. Where did the time go – both the years, and the hours consumed by nostalgia? Taking a break to sit by the neighbors’ pool, finish reading The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (escapism at its best!), and watch the kids splash. Don’t expect much from this blog in the next few weeks.

No comments:
Post a Comment