Apparently it is spring in some parts of the world. My parents told me on the phone the other day that the daffodils I planted years ago at their farm have bloomed and faded. My husband reminded me that taxes are due in less than a month. But here in Guam, the sky and flora look just like summer, fall, and winter.
It’s hard to keep track of the time when the seasonal markers are missing. The plumeria trees bloom perpetually. The bananas and palms seem to be in continuous fruit production. The mangoes, however, are just starting to fruit, and apparently only produce one crop a year. And I am engaging in the springtime ritual of preparing a garden, thanks to my brother- and sister-in-law who sent some heritage seeds from the Hudson Valley. We’ll see how they do in Oceania.
We’ve also set out some cuttings of bougainvillea and croton. The kids accused me of stealing when I broke off the branch of a particularly deep magenta bougainvillea on the side of the road, but I tried to tell them I was encouraging stronger growth for the host plant and propagating a more beautiful island if I get this branch to root. So many plants just seem to need some dirt to sprout.
It may not be the best time to do all this planting, since it has been relatively dry the past week. Temperatures have been in the 90's, but it’s hard to tell, except when sitting in the direct sun at the soccer fields, since we’ve had such pleasant breezes. Soccer isn't an indication of season here, either; the league plays all year round, to the dismay of my skin. Although I wear a hat, sunscreen, and carry a sunbrella, I’ve noticed new age spots on my knees, alas.
"It is no accident that faith in God flows from a 'head sore-wounded,' from a crucified man, and that atheism has Epicurus for father and originates in the world of the satisfied onlooker."
The satisfied onlooker, that's me. A couple of days ago, I was driving across the island, and as I crested a hill, I was greeted by a stunning view of the horizon where the Philippine Sea met an especially vivid cloudless cerulean sky, framed by swaying coconut palms. It was a Wordsworthian moment transposed to the tropics. The awe it inspired was intensified by the familiarity of having lived here half a year.
The challenge of Lent perhaps is to figure out how to share this abundance of grace with others. The second part of that quote from Benedictus is "We must also learn that in addition to the Real Presence of Jesus in Church and sacrament there is that other, second real presence of Jesus in the least of our brethren, in the downtrodden of this world; he wants us to find him in all of them." Being grateful is the first step, but not the last.

2 comments:
My husband and I just returned from some time in the tropics, our first experience of such flowerific and balmy climate. When we came home we were surprised by all the changes in our garden, and all the trees, etc. that hadn't even leafed out yet. What?! Cold rain??
And while we were living briefly in such mildness, we wondered if it creates the easygoing attitude that seems to prevail, or if that is because of the many tourists who are on vacation. We seemed to get used to it very quickly! It's hard to believe you have already been in Guam 6 months.
We have a hard time keeping track of the quickly passing time also. And we've definitely eased into "island time" - nothing starts as scheduled. But I really do miss those spring flowers. A friend emailed me recently from a town we lived in 8-10 years ago and said the tulips I planted are blooming. A happy thought.
Post a Comment