Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lily


I love Lilly of the Purple Plastic Purse. She’s so expressive. Who doesn’t want to go to the Lightbulb Lab? Who does want to sit in the uncooperative chair? What little girl hasn’t been disappointed by not being chosen to be a flower girl – or bridesmaid – in a close friend’s wedding? (My little sister wasn’t old enough to be jealous of my one and only performance as a flower girl, but she envied my First Communion flower wreath so much that my parents (or grandparents?) bought her little roses to wear by her ears. Several years later, she got her own flower wreath for her wedding reception.) My daughter is going to be a flower girl for her aunt soon, so we checked out Lilly’s Big Day to learn about this important job and to reconnect with Lilly and Mr. Slinger, that most laidback and understanding of teachers. Lilly seems much more excited about the potential of being a flower girl, than A. does about the reality. However, the fancy dress arrived today, and the silver shoes still fit, and she is beginning to ask questions about hair styles. And here is indomitable Lilly in her red boots to inspire us to practice marching slowly.

2 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

I wasn't jealous of your first flower girl performance? I thought I spent about fifteen years fuming over that picture of you in the pink eyelet dress that mom made for you, and your long golden locks of pincurled hair (to my pageboy haircut).

Come on, I was jealous of EVERYTHING about you for a LONG time. The roses in my hair were just the one time my jealousy was consoled.

Emily J. said...

Does that mean you aren't jealous of me now? Just wait - soon all my kids will be in school, and yours won't...

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket