Watched Field of Dreams with the kids on Friday. They were bored at the beginning - only the older 2 care anything about baseball - but once the ghost players appeared, their interest picked up. The subtext about the reclusive author Terence Mann started a conversation after the show. When Kevin Costner's wife stands up at the school board meeting and makes an impassioned defense of Mann's book, I was worried a minute – wait, who is this author? How did I miss this guy? Kids asked about him, so we hit up trusty Google and found he doesn’t exist. Phew. I thought I had missed something.
But what I missed the first and only time I saw this movie was the implications of the wife’s speech. When I saw this movie in high school, I probably cheered the wife on. But now as a parent, I pause. I wouldn't support government censorship, but mostly because I think the government will censor the wrong things. On the other hand, I don’t think school kids should be handed every book that is praised as a coming of age manifesto. Mann apparently is based loosely on J. D Salinger. Catcher in the Rye is a book for adults who have already lost their innocence, not kids who are still trying to figure things out. Why not feed them more challenging books with rich vocabulary, more complex characters, and longlasting value? Make them read the classics they won’t have time or desire to read on their own. They’ll find Catcher in the Rye on their own; it doesn’t need to be assigned in class.
Then again, I can see an argument for knowing what books are being talked about, what books people are interested in,what books have influence. But how many high school students have critical skills to discern good writing from popular writing?
I suppose I should add Catcher in the Rye to my to reread list, because all I can remember of it is Holden's self-absorption and visit to a prostitute.
In the Shadow of the Past
2 months ago

2 comments:
Emily,
Hey. I'm teaching a 7th and 8th grade Lit course this year at a very conservative Catholic school. Any suggestions for books to read? We are using a text out of a conservative christian university and it contains a novel by a no-name author. I love to replace it with another stronger piece of literature but the story must be "safe" and not to terribly difficult to read. I hoped to teach "The Giver" from a Catholic perspective but, not too surprisingly, the text was rejected by the school. Throw out some other titles for me. Thanks, Betty's friend Pedge
Fun, Pedge! How do you like teaching middle school? I'm really enjoying my older kids right now.
What they are reading: they are finally starting to pick up classics on their own: Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Anne of Green Gables, 21 Balloons, The Wind in the Willows, Linnets and Valerians, The Secret Garden... probably all too long, though.
Some newer fiction they like that I've read: The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Graveyard Book, the Redwall series, The Mixed Up Files of Mrs, Basil E Frankwiler, the Phantom Tollbooth, The Family Under the Bridge, Sadako and the 1000 Paper Cranes, The Bronze Bow, ...
What about a selection from Canterbury Tales? or a short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Melville (Billy Budd), Kipling, HG Wells, or Hemingway (The Bear?) or Howard Pyle or A Christmas Carol or other Dickens? Sherlock Holmes or a Fr Brown Mystery? Anne Frank? The Witch of Blackbeard Pond, Red Badge of Courage, Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry, An episode from The ODyssey or ...
Post a Comment