Monday, March 15, 2010

Eagle Cams and Vacation plans

We spent some time watching the Norfolk Botanical Gardens' eagle cam this weekend. Watching a bald eagle feed her babies bits of fish entrails can be addicting.  And cause for meditation on mothering patiently.  And for remembering many happy visits to the Garden to see the nest in person - I love the bit of trivia that the nest is as large as a Volkswagen Beetle.   I read that there are 600 pairs of nesting eagles in Virginia, and this pair has been nesting in the same spot since 2004, which is the year we returned to nest in Virginia for the second time.  I always like to hear about monogamous birds.  I know they have a bad reputation, but I have a soft spot for pigeons because they mate for life and always return home. And my dad used to race them, a hobby that I wonder might experience a renaissance with all the interest in urban farming.

Eagles also remind me of the San Juan Islands where we honeymooned. We were kayaking around the Islands when I first saw a bald eagle in the wild.  Now my kids have seen them enough that I'm not sure they realize they once were endangered.

Which leads me to another thought. My husband wants to take a trip with me when he gets home. He suggested Ireland. I've been to England but only right around London and Oxford when my sister was living there. I thought about returning to the Pacific Northwest and staying in a yurt. Or maybe going to Greece. I'd love to visit the Holy Land like my parents' just did, but I wonder about the prudence of taking an extravagant vacation when we have kids who might like to go to college someday. Being hereditarily frugal, I've tried to strike a balance between spending money to enjoy life and saving for future, - so maybe we should just go camping in the Smokies.

1 comment:

BettyDuffy said...

Go yurting! Uber fun!

I was thinking about the pidgeons the other day--probably because of Pentimento's post. They did stink--but I still think grey doves rather than rats with wings. What a bore though, sitting in the backyard waiting for the pidgeons to come home.

I've been itching to go back to England lately. Joe mentioned a trip back when I thought I was having heart surgery--but since I ended up being ok--we went to Williamsburg. The longer you're going to live, the more necessary it is to save money. Maybe if you feign a fatal disease you could conjure the mental permission for an extravagant trip. Practice some psychosomatic symptoms today, and they should be ready by the time your hubby comes home.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket