Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Indulging on memory lane

Today is a day of momentous occasion: My oldest is now thirteen. Today I am the mother of a teenager. Yikes. I’ve been looking through old photo albums and wondering how did he go from this to this?





Yesterday I sat at the park and watched my youngest laugh elatedly as she ran from swing to slide to jungle gym, and I wondered at how rarely I do this with her, just play at the park, while my oldest and I spent hours climbing and playing at various playgrounds. Of course, then we lived in an apartment with a teeny yard and now we have our own play gym in a big back yard and siblings with whom to play on it. I’m not sure that I want this stage of my life – mom of young kids hanging out at the park on sunny days – to end. The physical exhaustion of caring for babies has turned into the mental exhaustion of caring for big kids. One minute I wish they were babies again, the next I’m throwing them all out the door.



If I had had more foresight, I would've done what an aunt did for my older brother and me (my sister doesn't remember getting one) and put together a teenager box: deodorant, razor, binoculars, a book on how to talk to girls... I’m glad this kid who just went through two pant sizes in 6 months still likes to play on jungle gyms.


Here are two cuties: my oldest son and his dad, who was not a teenager.

2 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

But he sure looked like one thirteen years ago.

Margaret in Virginia said...

Joe is a very special young man. I love seeing these pictures!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket