Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Something different

Although Lent is supposed to be a time of simple eating, we’ve been eating well. I've baked more bread and muffins and tried new recipes: Last night it was chicken and pasta with a peanut sauce from our favorite easy cookbook, Southern Living Kids Cookbook, adapted for what we had on hand. The sauce is mostly soy sauce (1/2 c), a little sesame oil (2 or 3 tsp), and peanut butter (about ½ c) whisked together (I eyeballed the quantity because I was doubling the chicken and pasta). Then add shredded carrots and chopped peanuts. The recipe called for red pepper and green onion, neither of which I had, so I used finely chopped yellow onion and edamame. I loved it, and 4 out of 6 kids gave it a thumbs up.

The same response was merited by “Papa with Chakalaka” a recipe from the CRS rice bowl. For the papa you were supposed to make corn meal and round it into balls, but I was out of cornmeal, so I made grits to serve under the chakalaka, which is basically a sweet/spicy bean mix: You sauté onion and bell pepper in oil, add a diced chili pepper (I just used chili powder and a few pepper flakes) 2 tomatoes (I used a can of diced tomatoes), a grated carrot and a large can of baked beans, to which you add a hearty dose of curry powder and simmer for 15 minutes (or 45 like me because your son has a friend over, so you decide to make macaroni and cheese as a back up.)

My other experiment was with beef barley soup. I had some leftover chuck roast and cabbage after cooking for the priests at our parish. (Various volunteers cook for them on Saturdays. I tried to make an Irish meal, since 3 of 6 are Irish: roast, bubble and squeak, green beans, and Irish soda bread, which I could eat like cake. The Notre Dame coffee shop used to sell this dense, sweet hunk of soda bread, and I was so addicted to it that I wrote the food service and asked for the recipe. I was surprised when they sent it to me, but mine is never quite so dense as theirs because I can’t bring myself to bake with lard.) Anyway, in the soup the fat off the chuck roast soaked into the barley and the cabbage soaked in the flavor, too, so the end result was stewlike. Hearty and filling, but the cabbage and barley seemed to add a little Lenten spirit. And again, 4 out of 6 kids approved. The other 2 would be happy to exist on mac and cheese and peanut butter for the rest of their lives.

5 comments:

Daisy B. said...

LOL about the grits papa! That is SO Mississippi! And now that you're in Mississippi, you have to get over your anti-lard baking stance. :) Just try it once! (Then let us know how it goes because I can't do it either, even though I grew up with lard!)

Margaret in Virginia said...

Emily- Haven't you heard? Lard is the new fat! I heard about it on NPR a few months ago. Also, have you read Real Food, by Nina Planck? You will appreciate it.
There is a difference in lards, rendered vs. unrendered, I think, but go ahead and use it, and your Irish soda bread will be perfect in time for St. Patrick's Day!

GretchenJoanna said...

It's nice to be able to use up some things you have on hand. That "feels" Lenten, too. I find it easy to start buying fancy vegan food and to get overly focused on the food part of Lent--and to end up eating more!

Emily J. said...

Oh dear, I guess if I'm trying to assimilate into southern culture, I just might have to try lard. I picture it as binder for birdfood. After messing with all the fat on that chuck roast, I was ready to give up red meat all together. I don't know why roast says "company" when I really don't like it much myself. But my hands in all that grease reminded my of a line in "How to Cook a Wolf," written during the depression by MFK Fisher, about how you don't have to worry about using hand lotion if you have some ground beef to mix up because that fat is such a good emollient. I guess e coli wasn't such a concern then. So if I can't bring myself to eat the lard, I could use it to moisturize.

GretchenJoanna said...

I have a friend who raised goats and sheep and chickens in her back yard, and a pig and a cow in someone else's pasture. As she says, "God made lard." If you've ever used shortening, lard is better! BUT, BUT, it is almost impossible to find lard that hasn't been tampered with, making it as bad for us as shortening. I would like someday to render my own lard, but I haven't gotten around to it. My temporary solution is to use butter, which "God also made."

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket