Sunday, July 25, 2010

Practice makes perfect?

No.

No, thank you.

No, I’m sorry.

I’m practicing.

I am not going to let my children bully me into uncomfortable social obligations anymore. Please remind me that I said this in case I forget, or if, in a moment of pity, I feel tempted to cave in to their relentless requests.

That said, I probably also need to remember to say no every once in a while to my own desires, especially my deep and abiding love for my routines, and instead learn to enjoy spontaneous events.

2 comments:

Jordana said...

I tend to be far too good at saying no to anything my children suggest. I might, for instance, buy a whole bag of popsicles for them and then say no when they ask if they can have one. I need to be better at actually letting the word yes escape my lips.

Emily J. said...

It's a struggle to balance out those yes's and no's, isn't it?

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket