Sometimes I feel like I’m on the Chutes and Ladders board, climbing across a week at a time in one turn. School started today for my seventh and eighth graders – and it was with standard motherly mixed emotions that I watched them walk with apparent confidence into school. They are big kids (I had to run to the uniform store the day before school started to get the oldest another pair of longer pants, which above size 32 only come unhemmed, so I spent last night hemming, ripping stitches, rehemming, repeating), and they are good kids; I don't worry as much about them as I do my younger ones who have had a different toddlerhood. But I want to push them back down a chute or two to slow this whole game down.
On our desktop we have the photo slideshow widget on the Google sidebar. It is a constant distraction, even to the kids, who stop to watch a few slides every time they walk by. Nearly ten years worth of photos stored on the desktop flash by to remind us of wonderful times that we have had, and that now are lost except to memory.
And my memory works poorly. Maybe if I could remember all the details with perfect recall, I wouldn't feel quite so nostalgic.
I miss those small children I used to know.
A few old favorites:
In the Shadow of the Past
2 months ago




No comments:
Post a Comment