Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Photo Journal


A new year begins! We returned from our travels to Indiana, Pennsylvania, and New York without complication. Our travel days seemed to fall on days after huge amounts of snow were deposited in our destinations, so we had all the fun of winter with few of its hazards. While I gather my thoughts and put away laundry, here are some photos to peruse.

My husband put together a last minute St. Lucy day celebration before we departed, right after gymnastics class:

After twelve hours in the car, everyone headed straight into the snow!


Cutting down the Christmas cedar:


The sledding hill behind my parents' house. No one could wait until morning to hit the hill.


One of many snowball fights                                                    A nuthatch on the feeder that received a lot of attention
 

Snow man and friends



Bounty of the hunt, farm raised

Attempts to capture artistic winter scenes




Part of the Christmas treasure trove


Homemade sled run in New York
I took a turn, too.

Skinning a squirrel

More snowballs


The dog barely moved from his sentry watching the cat.

New York farm scene from a hillside we started to hike until the whiner's won out and we turned back to the safety of the comforts of home.
Feeding the chickens
Pajama sledding
Unlicensed ATV driver

Snowboarding down the ramp.

Milking a neighbor's cow


Airborne!

5 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I love the bits of red against the snow, the berries, geraniums and ... fuschia? What a fun Christmas it looks to have been. I haven't been sledding in six years. Not since starting to have kids. I seem to always be pregnant or nursing a baby in the winter.

Emily J. said...

The sled run was a lot of fun, but seat cushioning would have made it more comfy! The kids made the most of their once a year encounter with snow.

That bright pink flower is actually a Christmas cactus that originally belonged to my grandmother's aunt. The plant is about 2 feet in diameter right now. We like to say that it is over 100 yrs old, but it has been split and rerooted many times, so who knows. Happily, it thrives on neglect.

Anonymous said...

What amazing experiences your children had! The makings of a wonderful childhood.

Jordana said...

It looks like a wonderful Christmas time made up of all the best things. I wish we had enough snow and a good place to sled occasionally, but I didn't love it nearly so much when I was in Ohio.

Emily J. said...

Jordana - The great thing is that we can love it and leave it!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket