Tuesday, February 8, 2011

On Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night

A wonderful distraction from pressing realities has been reading Dorothy Sayers’ Gaudy Night. Set in Oxford before the second World War (interbellum?), this mystery centers around criminal action taking place at a fictional women’s college, Shrewesbury. The main character isn’t Sayers’ famous Peter Wimsey, but his love interest Harriet Vane. Someone has been leaving crude and insulting letters directed at the unmarried women academics, destroying gowns and dissertations, and causing havoc in the women’s library. Harriet is called in to uncover the culprit, but I’m 300 pages in, and she hasn’t made much progress. Lord Peter has just arrived on the scene, and they are punting on the Isis in their white linen. Sigh.

Though the pace is slow, the diction is rich, and I’m savoring it. Reading this novel is almost as good as a little vacation to that time and place. (I’m also resurrecting memories of Oxford from a brief visit my mother and I made 14 years ago, when I was 8 months pregnant with my first, to see my sister, who was studying for a semester there. Spring was just arriving, and we spent about a week touring around the Cotswolds in a little micra car and wandering about Oxford. Poking around the museum of natural history was a highlight, as was an afternoon concert. Three days after our flight back home, which was Newport, Rhode Island, at the time, my water broke while we were at church in Boston, and our first born entered the world five weeks early. Happily, he’s a healthy lad who turns 14 next month.)


I have my suspicions about the identity of the criminal, but I’m a little unsure about the romance – will Harriet finally accept Peter’s proposals of marriage or will he stop proposing or will she remain married to her work, writing detective novels? The compatibility of marriage and career is an interesting theme running through the book. None of the female dons is married, but the reasons for not marrying are varied: some are adamantly opposed to women academics marrying, some pity the married, one seems to be a manhater. The “poison-pen” is assumed to be one of the faculty because one of the letters was in Latin, and the suggestion is that celibacy has made this person bitter and malevolent, or at least that is what the college is afraid the outside world will assume.

Harriet has declined Peter’s marriage proposals not only because she apparently was involved in some romantic scandal in an earlier book, but also because she fears an unequal marriage, in which either her career or her husband’s will have to be sacrificed to uphold the marriage. She worries that spouses are doomed to envy or resent the other. She and one of the suspected dons have a conversation about how marriage is a job: “The worst of being a job,’ said Miss de Vine, “is the devastating effect it has on one’s character. I’m very sorry for the person who is somebody else’s job; he (or she, of course) ends by devouring or being devoured, either of which is bad for one.”

If this were the only view presented, I’d despair of Harriet ever accepting Peter’s proposal, but Miss de Vine also says “though there are a few rare people, I believe, who don’t look on themselves as jobs but as fellow creatures.”

An interesting side trail: I was reading somewhere that the attraction to vampire romances is rooted in the sublimated desire to be consumed by one’s beloved, a sort of twisted desire for unity.


So not only am I trying to put together clues about the identity of the perpetrator, but also clues about Dorothy Sayers’ view of marriage. She has one character say that marriage makes you fat, another is proof that marriage causes premature aging. One epigraph from Richard Burton praises virginity. But then there are a few bright examples of marriage: the archaeologist and her husband who complement each other so well, and Harriet is greatly flattered by a proposal of marriage from an undergraduate she befriended. And her feelings are obviously conflicted about Lord Peter. She seems to be afraid they would be unequally yoked, but it is clear that Lord Peter would view her as a fellow creature, not a job, and would allow her to continue writing and solving crimes.

I’m eager to read more, but I'm glad the book is a thick 468 pages…

9 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

Gaudy Night is a lovely lyrical book (despite being a murder mystery and all) and I'm so jealous of you, reading it for the first time. Doesn't it make Oxford sound like the stuff of dreams? Except for the deaths, of course. Still, if as many people had been murdered at Oxford as the mystery writers would have one believe, the place would have been shut down ages ago. :)

Harriet's past is explained in the first book she features in, Strong Poison. Sayers seems to have patterned Harriet Vane on herself a bit, with her bad affair.

I believe Sayers herself was married, and I think she had a son, though not in that order, so she can't have had too bad an opinion of marriage.

word verification: ardis. A variant on ardent, perhaps?

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Gaudy Night is definitely my favorite of Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter books. Like Mrs. D, I'm envying your reading it for the very first time.

Mrs D,
Tring not to spoil anything for Emily, but have you read either of the unfinished Lord Peter/Harriet Vane books that were completed by Jill Paton Walsh Thrones, Dominations and A Presumption of Death?

GretchenJoanna said...

Besides Gaudy Night, I've only read one other Lord Peter book, and some people won't even include GN in that grouping. I loved it so much, you are making me want to read it again. It's been some years, and we even read it for the book group that I started, but it's gotten a little foggy now....and yes, it was mostly a huge curiosity about Sayers' attitude toward marriage that made me gobble it up. After that I read one or maybe two biographies of her!

Diane said...

I adored the entire Lord Peter series, including Gaudy Night. You really do need to start back at the beginning, as the characters grow and change from book to book.

A number of years back the BBC did an adaptation of the novels for television - I think for Mystery. They were extremely well done, and faithful to the novels. Three of them - including both Strong Poison and Gaudy Night - are available at Netflix.

But read the books first!

Emily J. said...

I finished Gaudy Night on Thursday and LOVED, loved, loved it. But my library does not have Strong Poison. Can you believe it? I'm going to have to look for the Sayers bio also, GretchenJoanna; your comments make me curious.

Melanie, did you like the completed books? I haven't been a fan in the past of books finished by other authors, although once - now I can't remember which book it was! - I read something completed postmortem that I didn't realize was by another author.

Thanks for the comments!

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Emily, I did enjoy them. Caveats, when I read them it had been years and years since I'd read the originals, so I wasn't very able to compare with the originals. The first of the completions covers Harriet's and Peter's honeymoon and evidently closely followed Sayer's notes as far as plot.

I found that I really enjoyed the way the novel explored the continuing strains in a relationship that began with such a rocky start. As much as Harriet and Peter love each other, each brings a huge load of baggage to this marriage and I thought the novel really does justice to that theme.

I don't remember the second as well; but I think it was based on shorter pieces that Sayers wrote during the war, an epistolary novel, composed of various letters among various family members.

GretchenJoanna said...

One of her biographers was a rival, or someone she'd had a falling out with, so I didn't want to read only that one...I forget the details. I will ask my friend who told me about it.

Emily J. said...

Melanie - is the story of Peter and Harriet's honeymoon "Busman's Holiday"? I was poking around a little online and found reference to that book, by Sayers, as the story of the Wimsey's young marriage. Or does Walsh's book cover a different part of their relationship?

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Emily, You're right. I was a bit muddled. Thrones and Dominations isn't the honeymoon but newlywed life moving into their new home. Like I said, it's been a while since I read them.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket