Friday, November 11, 2011

Learning to read through metafiction

One of the delights of homeschooling has been discovering some new beginning reader books. Lately our favorite library books have been Mo Willems's Elephant and Piggie books.  Despite the antiquated, underfunded status of our library, it does have a section of brand-new books it receives through a grant program. These are loaner books, and my understanding is that after a period of time they will be passed on and a new set will arrive. By then, maybe we'll be tired of reading Elephant and Piggie, but maybe not.



My favorite so far.  Way better than Dr. Seuss. So much clever expression in so little text!


My five year old giggles just like elephant when she reads this.

And I'm happy she's enjoying reading a book about reading.

2 comments:

Melanie B said...

We love the Elephant and Piggy books, though Bella isn't beginning to read yet. I was a bit shocked though when after we'd read half a dozen of them we finally realized Piggy was a girl.

We Are in a Book is definitely my favorite. However, I'm not sure whether Bella really gets the metafiction part of this book. But both she and Sophie do giggle hilariously at the "banana" part.

Emily J. said...

Yeah, Piggie is a little androgynous.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket