On a recent trip to the flea market, I picked up what I thought were the local sweet potatoes. But I discovered when I sliced through the skin after baking them for an hour that I actually bought the purple-fleshed taro root. I had bought some before and tried to prepare it like a baked potato, but it was incredibly dry. Disappointed, I stuck the baked taro in the refrigerator for a few days, until I finally tired of moving them out of the way. Rather than just trash them, I found some recipes in old cookbooks my mother-in-law sent me. I combined a couple recipes to make taro muffins. Fortunately, we have a stack of coconuts piled up on the side of the house, so I sent my 12 year old out to husk and grate one. He was happy to oblige - who wouldn't want to set aside school work to impale coconuts on a husking spike and then whack them with a machete?
The resulting muffins were ugly and misshapen but tasted delicious with a texture like cake combined with a sweet chewy crumb. I’ll probably never be able to duplicate the recipe, but it was something like this:
4 baked and mashed taro roots
Milk (about 1.5 cups?) and grated flesh (1 cup?) of a coconut
3 c. flour (I used part wheat flour)
2T baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ c sugar
6 T melted butter
2 eggs
Some nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
Mash taro with dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, blend and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Then enjoy eating 75% of them before anyone else in the family catches on that they actually taste good.

2 comments:
I was thinking, while we were staying where taro grows, that perhaps the Internet is full of modern recipes using that ingredient. You've created one!
Once a friend returned from Hawaii with a gift for me of a cookbook devoted entirely to mochi recipes -- to my great delight. They were both traditional and innovative. Do the Guamanians eat mochi?
Mochi is everywhere! I can't say I'm a big fan - I like the frozen better than the shelf-stable variety. A lot of Japanese people live and visit here, so I don't think it is a traditional Chamorro dish, but it is popular. There is also a curious coconut jell that the kids like. A little rubbery for my taste.
Post a Comment