Tomorrow is my 39th birthday. The kids keep
reminding me of the fact that next year I’ll be old. My sister-in-law started a
list of 40 new things to learn before she was 40 (or was it in her 40th
year?), which I thought was fun, so I’m going to copy. But this might become a list of things to do
when I’m old.
And I’m going to cheat and start off with some of the new
things I’ve done/learned since we’ve lived in Guam.
1. How to scuba dive. (Since I had so much the anxiety about
accidental drowning, getting lost at sea, and losing my kids in the ocean, this
is probably the hardest thing I’ve learned.) We did our first boat dive to a
shipwreck site. For the first ten
minutes in the water, I had to chant to myself “Breathe in, breathe out, clear
your ears. Breathe in, breathe out, clear your ears. Breathe in…” It’s so
unnatural to breathe through a regulator. For a minute I forgot that bubbles
are supposed to come out when you exhale and I was afraid my regulator was
broken. But once we could see the wreck, I could stop remembering to breathe,
and just enjoy. Swimming over and around a giant coral freighter on its side is
pretty cool. An underwater ghost. The site is actually home to 2 wrecks, one
from WWI and one from WWII (the freighter), but the WWI wreck is too deep for
us beginners. I even relaxed enough to
join in the fun of passing a pincushion starfish around. Sorry that we did not replace our stolen
underwater camera before doing this.
2. Seeing a sea turtle, octopus, and clown fish (snorkeling)
3. Completing a triathlon (and winning my age group).
4. Hiking a waterfall
5. Jumping from a waterfall
6. Swimming in a cave
7. Growing orchids and bananas (they are growing; they just
aren’t producing yet)
8. Learning to like coconut
9. Making chicken kelaguen
10. Picking mangoes
11. Learning to paddle board
12. Swimming to Cocos island
13. Going to yoga regularly
14. Riding the Manta (superscary waterslide! Makes you feel like a preteen! Wahoo!)
15. Learning to surf
15. Learning to surf
Those are the things I’ve already done. I’m sure I’ll think
of some more as the week goes on. Some
goals I thought of:
- Read 40 books in the next year
- Read 40 books in the next year
- Travel to Japan and Palau
- Learn some Japanese
- Run a marathon – I’m debating this one. I ran a marathon
right after I graduated from college, and did pretty well: 3:13. But the
training takes a long time, and I’ve recently recovered from a tendinitis issue
in my hip. Recovery takes a lot longer
now that I’m older, but I still have a competitive streak. I’m not sure how
much time I want to put into training. Ditto on doing an extreme triathlon like
the Xterra, which a friend just did. I get a little rush of adrenalin just from
the idea. I love these things, but the training time – and equipment costs –
feels selfish. (Reminds me that I enjoyed this article at the Image blog, mostly because
I love Chariots of Fire and the “God made me fast” quote.)
- Learn to play the ukelele
- Make lesson plans for my community college class instead
of just notes (does this count or is this just a to do list item?)

No comments:
Post a Comment