In honor of All Soul's Day: photos of the souls in my
prayers, my beloved grandparents. I realize that All Soul’s Day is a day for
praying for the souls in purgatory, but I’d like to believe that my
grandparents shortened their time there with all the love they gave us. I
couldn’t imagine any better grandparents.
They were all involved in their grandchildren's lives. They were generous
to us and interested in us, and their homes were like sanctuaries, especially
in our turbulent teen years, when we viewed our parents as our adversaries.
All Soul's Day is a day of celebration here in Guam. A newly
arrived neighbor commented with incredulity about the man buying $250 of ugly silk flowers
at the Exchange. The cemeteries are all cleaned up and decorated with these silk
arrangements, which really aren’t especially lovely, except that they represent
the fact that someone took the time to go to a gravesite and say a few prayers.
We went to Mass in the chapel, not in the cemetery on base, where the chaplain
said Mass in the morning. It is a small town graveyard that got incorporated into
military property after WWII, but the base is open to descendents of the people
buried there on this day, and our priest mentioned how these descendents bring
their folding chairs and sit next to their mom or dad or auntie during the
liturgy. Some of them will go on over to
another cemetery for another Mass with another family member. Not surprisingly, this is a tradition that
may die out; few of the people out decorating graves when I drove by one of the
larger cemeteries looked younger than 50.
But I hope it survives. There is something comforting in the thought of
spending a little time with the bodies of our dearly departed. I have to credit my grandparents for taking
us to cemeteries on Memorial Day to decorate with peonies the graves of my
great-grandparents, at least the ones who died in town.
I scanned some of these photos last spring after my
grandmother’s funeral. I love the peek into my grandparents' lives as young
people, full of vim and vigor, which is how my grandmother described her own
grandmother. I miss knowing them as they were then. I wish my children could
have known them as I knew them. And I hope that my children view their
grandparents with the same unconditional, overflowing love I felt for these
four people.







1 comment:
Tears of joy and gratitude while reading this. What an immense gift, to have good grandparents, and to be able to know them. Thank you for the pictures. May they all rest in peace, and may their prayers for you and your children bring you all to a joyful meeting in Heaven!
Post a Comment