While my parents were visiting, we made an excursion into the Sierras. Seeing Sequoia National Park has been on my "To See Someday" list for a long time, and we had been putting it off waiting for the perfect weekend, which never seemed to show up, as perfect weekends are apt to be scarce. But this weekend was perfect - there was a foot of snow on the ground, which thrilled my children who haven't seen substantial snow since 2010. My parents were up for an adventure and were interested in seeing a little bit more of California than just the coast. The entrance to the park takes just under four hours from our house, but the change in climate and terrain is remarkable. We arrived in time for some evening snow play, a short trudge, and a visit to the General Grant, second largest tree in the park. Instead of camping, my first choice in National Parks, we stayed in the John Muir Lodge, which was comfortable, if not luxurious. I nearly, well, did have a meltdown trying to reserve it, but in the end all worked out beautifully. It was a short visit, without much hiking, but lots of fresh mountain air and family time. Happy memories.
 |
| Kids jumped out of the car to touch the snow as we drove into the park. |
 |
| First snow |
 |
| The General Grant |
 |
| Beautiful ending to a beautiful day |
 |
| Relearning the perils of ice |
 |
| Sledding on pantseats |
 |
| Tree huggers |
 |
| Good morning Hume Lake |
 |
| A view off to Kings Canyon - roads were closed to this part |
 |
| Enjoying time with the grandparents |
 |
| Baby and I have matching hats, thanks to a friend |
 |
| These could put your eye out! |
 |
| Driving Generals Highway through the park |
 |
| More snowplay |
 |
| The General Sherman - largest tree by volume |
 |
| Hiking in the Grove of Giants |
 |
| Another massive trunk |
 |
| Tree growing out of a rock |
 |
| Enough photos, paparazzi |
 |
| Too many scenic views to capture |
 |
| Goodnight Sequoias! |
 |
| Worn out after a nice trip |
Now we have visited three National Parks lately - Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Sequoia. I think I would say I like Sequoia best. The Grand Canyon is so crowded. The view is amazing, but you experience it as if you are at a museum, unless you have the time and permits to hike down into the canyon, I suppose. Yosemite was also breathtaking. I'm sure if the falls were roaring it would feel completely different. We went at an ideal time, when it was still warm, but not as crowded. I've heard the summers are crazy. I'd like to go back, but if I had to choose one to go back to, I'd pick Sequoia because I like the woods. The southern part of the park was still full of tourists and people come to play in the snow at the big sledding hill. We saw three ambulances carry people away with injuries from the icy hills. But the northern part, where we entered and spent the night, was very quiet at this time of year. Maybe because we arrived late in the day, we had the path around the General Grant nearly to ourselves. The kids could run and slide and throw snowballs to their hearts' content. We played cards in the lobby of the hotel in front of a large, cozy fire and ate leftovers we had warmed up in the crockpot. Our morning hike around Hume Lake was accompanied only by wintering ducks and an eagle and a few ice fisherman, although some other intrepid walkers showed up as we were leaving. I'd love to go back when the snow is melted and the roads are open to get in some good hikes off the main thoroughfare, but that may wait for another lifetime, when a perfect weekend shows up again.
This trip confirms again my feelings about travel - I don't think you have to move around and see the world in order to be a better person. But I do like to go places with the family so that we are self-contained and together enjoying a place that is miraculous and awe-inspiring. My favorite part of this trip wasn't seeing some really giant trees, but seeing the joy on the kids' faces, watching them playing together in the snow and in the lobby, and even in the car. (We did take two cars on this trip.) We've made some beautiful memories on this trip with my folks that have nothing to do with the views. Instead we'll remember the baby touching the snow, the weird sound of tree branches skimming across the ice, sliding around on the paths, eating snow, rolling down windows to get fresh air on the winding road down the mountains, jamming into a shuttle bus against my desires, wondering at the tailgaters in the snowplay parking lot, trying to capture light and size in a small frame, trying to capture time in this retrospective.
No comments:
Post a Comment