One of my memories from early education was turning a paper plate into a lion face on one side and a lamb on the other to represent the saying "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." This quote doesn't have any real relevance to the weather in Southern California - it comes in a little below 70 and sunny, and likely will go out the same, maybe a little over 70 and sunny.
However, this March has brought a storm of activity and bleak news. It all feels a little apocalyptic: deadly tornadoes in Tennessee, coronavirus encroachment, disconcerting news from family and friends, big decisions on the horizon. The start of Lent has offered a lot of food for thought about living a life of faith. And my husband is in the middle east in the desert for the duration of the season - his Lenten practices are a little easier to follow, except he will have no access to sacraments.
For the most part, there is enough activity around here that I don't have time to sit and contemplate very much. But I admit I did go to the commissary and buy toilet paper and disinfecting wipes, which I genuinely needed, but I also went ahead and bought bleach and vinegar and refills of hand soap and powdered gatorade and vitamins, along with my regular full cart of groceries. I felt a little foolish in the check-out line - some of the checkers know me and know that we have a larger than average family, so we actually eat all this food, but I'm sure other shoppers, if they didn't already have bleach and bottled water in their carts, were wondering if I wasn't going a little overboard. I have been thinking about our years in Mississippi and Guam when we kept a hurricane box ready to go, and never needed, and our Mormon friends who always keep bins in their garages with food and batteries, etc, for times of emergency. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for something, does it? I keep wondering what is not being said, when these warnings are issued from newspaper and pulpit.
Enough conspiracy theorizing, what I really need to be doing is finished quarter-term grades and taxes and setting up online course shells. So here are some photos from last week. I was going to write about Pico Iyer's and Alice Walker's talks - they were fabulous - but I don't have time. I took copious notes and am reading more of their books when I can find a moment. They are very different writers and speakers, but equally interesting.
 |
| A hummingbird nesting in our ficus tree. I found her when I was trimming the tree back a little - discontinued that job immediately- glad to have an excuse! |
 |
| Pico Iyer interviewed by Dean Nelson as part of the Writer's Symposium by the Sea at Point Loma Nazarene University |
 |
Alice Walker
| interviewed by Dean Nelson as part of the Writer's Symposium by the Sea at Point Loma Nazarene University |
|
 |
| The house was packed for both writers. |
 |
| Planting a tree for Arbor Day, celebrated a bit early around here. |
No comments:
Post a Comment