My day started out well. It's my 49th birthday. What a strange and unlikely thing! I don't feel a day over, oh, maybe 33 -- other than the persistent pain in my feet and the fact that I don't recognize myself in the mirror or photographs sometimes. Who is that person with gray hair and wrinkles? I remember feeling quite sad to leave my thirties behind when I was turning 40. I feel equally sorry to not be 40 something for much longer, but the difference between 40 something and 50 something seems much smaller that between 30 something and 40 something. A 30 year old could still be considered young. I am decidedly middle aged, if not on the edge of old.
The morning began with gifts and a walk with friends and my daughter during which we talked about what to do with the gift of another year of life?
My daughter, who is my walking partner once again now that she is home from college, thinks I should try to run another marathon since I did one in my 20s and one in my 30s. I would like to do more writing, I say every year. I also say every year that I would like to organize photos and make photo books. I'd like to make another trip to CA, a trip to NC and to MI to see cousins, and a trip to Boston to see our second son and then a little jaunt up to Maine to meet his girlfriend's parents. I'd like to go backpacking again.
I have no shortage of things I'd like to do. And I feel blessed that I will get to do many of those things, unlike the 19 children and their teacher who died today, or the 13 who were murdered last week in New York. I didn't hear the news about today's tragedy until midday, but once I became aware of the catastrophe, the celebratory nature of the day was over. I can't even imagine the mourning that must be happening in Uvalde, a town that is only three hours away. Our 15 year old came home from school nervous. She saw some statistic that there have been 27 school shootings in 2022. That's a number that is difficult to fathom, impossible to explain. Far too many people who won't have the opportunity to celebrate the gift of another year or life.
The death of child is tragic; the death of multiple children is unconscionable. May God welcome them to Heaven, console their families, have mercy on all, and send healing to the broken hearted everywhere.

1 comment:
Thank you, Emily.
May the Lord bless your days and years with His peace and strength.
Post a Comment