Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Still remembering

 Continuing the theme of memory, I had a dream last night that has stuck with me all day.  I don't remember the first part or the exact setting of the dream, but there was a threatening aspect to the situation. I was on a train with our second son, only he was a toddler, maybe 2 or 3. Old enough to talk, young enough to be held. At first we were playing some game where children were getting lost, so I grabbed my son and got on the train to go somewhere to rest and hide.  And he did rest - his little body relaxed into dreams. As I held his sleeping body, his face brightened into a smile. It was one of those sweet moments of total trust and relaxation when a baby knows he's safe with his mother, even though his mother knows she can't keep him completely safe.

In the dream, I knew I was dreaming, and I knew he was really grown up.  So even in the dream, I knew I should savor this moment, when I could love and hold him because he was small again. It was like I was able to time travel because I knew he would grow up fine, and I could hold him freely, almost with more love because I no longer worried about raising him. The dream was a gift; it was so realistic. It was a moment to forgive myself for the times I didn't sit down and hold my older babies without worry of what comes next. This may be what being a grandmother is like. 

I woke up slowly, relishing the feeling of his little boy body, the lightness and flexibility of his arms, the small of his head, the softness, etc.  And then I booked a trip to visit our son!

3 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Did you book the ticket because of the dream, or did you have the dream because you were planning to book the ticket the next day?

Emily J. said...

Good question! I'm sure I had the dream because I had been looking at tickets for the summer but in between our schedule and his, and the price of airfare, it was hard to find a good weekend. The dream just made me commit to a weekend in October! That trip is for the whole family. I'm still thinking about booking tickets for a midweek getaway for just met and the 8 year old ...

Gretchen Joanna said...

Let's travel while we can!

A few women from our church book group are planning a pilgrimage to a monastery in Arizona in October. We will fly from northern CA to Tucson, God willing. I figure if some complications occur with airlines I could always drive there, though it would take me three days...

It is sweet, the different relationship that often happens with the youngest in a large family. My husband and I made a long road trip with just our youngest, when she was in her young teens, and it was quite memorable.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket