Friday, September 15, 2023

On friendship

 I am so grateful for friendship. 

Tonight an old friend and I lingered over an extended dinner in the corner of a little Italian restaurant downtown and left longing for more hours. My friend is here on a work trip and leaves tomorrow, but I am so thankful we were able to carve out time to meet tonight. I left behind work and responsibility for a few hours, but what a blessing to share a really deep conversation about challenging topics and feel lifted up by the freedom to be open and understood. I don't see my friend often anymore - and honestly, we never lived close, so we've always only visited on occasion, but those occasions are causes for celebration.  I have a handful of friends that satisfy that deep longing for connection when we reunite, however briefly, however rarely. What is the root of that cor ad loquitur cor? Whatever it is, I am grateful. 

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket