Saturday, May 8, 2010

I didn't forget

Blessings on all the mothers out there, especially my own mother, my mother-in-law, my grandmother and grandmother-in-law - soon to be 90!, and my sister and sisters-in-law, all of whom are wonderful mothers, even if sometimes they think they aren't. 

Personally, I'm sometimes embarrassed by the fuss of Mother's Day.  I don't like to be the center of attention - and gift giving isn't my love language.  But my kids are telling me to sleep in, don't get up early, don't spy around my desk -- and I'm happy they are plotting some act of generosity like breakfast in bed - which is probably as much or more fun for them to make than it is for me to eat it, while trying to avoid having my coffee jostled and my juice sloshed as they hover on the bed, craving my compliments.

In case they get up early and read my blog, here's what I want for Mother’s Day:


  
  • Immediate Obedience
  • Cheerful demeanours
  • Helpful Attitudes
  • Respectful manners
  • Cooperative Play
  • Unsolicited tidying up
  • Unhurried time to read aloud and play outside together
  • World Peace – so my kids’ dad and all those other deployed parents could come home

No jewelry, no spa treatments, no flowers, no new appliances, no thank you.


A few happy Mother’s Day memories:

Maitre'd and wait staff of Chez Cuire, fancy restaurant:

On St. Johns, VI, after one of the most inspiring Mother's Day masses ever: we're all smiling so grandly because the priest preached so stirringly about remembering to "Celebrate, Gratitude, Hope"

A picnic and hike in the woods, a favorite family activity (I think this photo is from my birthday, actually)



 With cows and cousins in Lancaster last year:

No comments:

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket