I have to say, this fall has been much more colorful than last year. Based on my impressions last fall, I would have been quite dismissive of autumn in the Deep South, but whatever proportions of sun, rain, and temperature are necessary for vivid foliage fell into line this year. Our neighbor’s maple tree, the only one around for miles, brings fiery hues to our usually dun colored street, and we don’t have to rake any of the leaves. Of course, there is nothing like the cooler weather to make me long for a Midwestern autumn, even though I’m enjoying what we have here, especially early morning runs with my husband. Quite often we are greeted by pelicans and the harsh cry of herons. If only the casino didn’t block the view of the sun on cresting the bay...
Our last couple of weekends have included cultural activities, in addition to the seasonal soccer games. Last weekend it was an art fair and the opening of the new Frank Gehry designed Ohr-O'Keefe Museum. We went on the family day, when Americorps volunteers were present to help the kids make booklets about George Ohr, the Mad Potter of Biloxi, and paper crowns. (For Mardi Gras? Or to keep the little girls happy while the boys had crazy mustaches painted on their upper lips?) I kicked myself for forgetting a camera. The museum was extremely small, and not being a connoisseur of pottery, I don't know that I'll be back often. The sculptures by Richmond Barthe were stunning, though. Made the art fair offerings pale (except for the booth where you could pay $5 to pose with a little street vendor monkey.)
This weekend included a drive to Mobile that was absolutely glorious (despite our intended destination being a car repair place), and discovering the free Fort Conde with its miniatures and wax figures brought back memories of Ft. Monroe - a nice cap to the day that included a visit to the Exploreum to see the sea lion show. Of course, the display of photos of past queens of the krewe of the Conde Cavaliers, who sponsor the first parade of the Mobile Mardi Gras season, was more to the liking of my young ladies, but at least there was something for everyone.
This year's Mobile Carnival Association queen from: http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/2010/02/royal_splendor_mca_queen.html




4 comments:
Your bedside table list is out of control. Where and when are you sleeping?
Are you obliquely advising me to modify my blog design or to make room for my absentee spouse in the boudoir?
I guess I do need to rename that list - those are the books I've finished. Most are back at the library. The actual bedside stack is a little more somnolent - most of them have been there for months and are chosen to make me feel holy when I look at their covers before I go to sleep. Perhaps I would be more saintly if I actually looked at them.
Books are a good bedtime affirmation.
I'm good enough: The Divine Life
I'm smart enough: Poetry!
And gosh darnit, people like me:
...
...
I need a good title here.
A Jonathan Franzen book? or one by Jodi Picoult?
Post a Comment