Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Proof of the Power of Positive Thinking?


There’s a facebook post going around that shows two photos: one of soldiers from WWII, and the other of Occupy Wall Street protestors.  The caption is something about how 20 yr olds in 1944 gave everything while 20 yr olds in 2011 want everything. It stood out to me because I just read a book about a WWII soldier and the nature of survival. I don’t care much about the Occupy Wall Street movement, because I don't understand what they want, and I don't think they do either, but I wonder if the perseverance of the protesters isn’t due so much to their dedication to the cause, as to the euphoria of hanging out together.  There’s a lot you can withstand when someone else is going through it with you.

Hence, I attend book clubs.  I like hanging out.  Usually the talk at the officer spouses’ club book group centers around upcoming events, the pros and cons of different duty stations, comparing lists of who knows whom, etc.  We might talk briefly about the book, especially if there’s a movie version.  But book talk usually expires quickly. Either people don’t read the book, or they share the same opinions of it or are afraid to voice a contrarian position.

Surprisingly, the talk at the first meeting of the book club here really stayed on topic – even despite the fact that there was delicious food to yum over.  Nearly everyone read the book, which also helped.

The book indirectly talks about the importance of camaderie for survival. It was Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, the story of World War II survivor Louis Zamperini. The Wall Street Journal had run a big review when it was came out, but the review focused on the contrast between the author’s Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and her subject’s indefatiguable spirit.  Louis Zamperini is now an active 94, which is pretty incredible, considering what he withstood as a 20something.

I don’t usually pick up historical biographies, so I don’t know how this book compares to others, but it provides great fodder for conversation.  Is that because of Hillenbrand’s writing or Zamperini’s life? He did lead an incredible life, and he survived horrendous suffering during WWII.  But I’m sure there are other lives just as miraculous – in fact Hillenbrand notes several unpublished memoirs sent to her by other soldiers which she consulted for details about the Japanese prisoner of war camps and about the Army Air Force of which Zamperini was a member, as well as other information about experiences of war. Their stories are probably just as interesting.

Part of what we found interesting in discussion about Zamperini was his change from a rebellious teen to Olympic runner to airplane bombardier to prisoner of war, then alcoholic and, finally, convert.  He went from hopelessness to glory, back to hopelessness and to, hopefully, final glory.  Growing up in depression era Southern California, he stole and fought and ran around like a hooligan. Wait, he was a hooligan. His brother finally talked him into running track, which he did first to attract girls and then because he was good.  His training for the Olympics was amazingly brief, proof of his natural talent. He qualified for the 1936 Olympics in his third 5000m race, even though he was a miler at heart.  A favorite scene for me was when the Notre Dame coach came to Zamperini to wish him good luck. Six(ty) degrees of separation?  

When Pearl Harbor was bombed he joined the air corps, and survived several missions, before the plane he was on went down while on a rescue mission.  Miraculously, he and two other men survived the crash and then lived for 47 days in the life raft, without any stores of food or water. Think Life of Pi, which I thought incredible, until reading this.  One of the men dies, the one who was new to the plane crew, but Zamp and his best friend Phil keep each other alive, even battling sharks and fire from a Japanese plane.

They finally are rescued by the Japanese and taken to a war camp. Although they initially are nursed to semi-health, their POW experience goes from bad to worse.  The pictures in the book add to the drama.  Here are all these handsome young men who died.  The few POWs who survive the torture and deprivation narrowly escape annihilation when the war ends.

So the question debated was how did they survive?  Did Louis Zamperini have special physical and mental gifts that enabled him to overcome the suffering and setbacks he experienced, or did he channel an inherent ability to survive and remain positive that everyone possesses, although many people don’t use it?

One of the wives, who has overcome a snake phobia and taken up triathlons after being a lifelong coach potato was convinced that will power was the answer. And she believes that everyone could do more for themselves just by making up their minds to do it.

It’s an interesting question.  I wanted to agree with her. And I do, sort of.  People DON’t exercise their wills – or their bodies – nearly as much as they should or can.  I definitely agree that most people give up much too easily, not on life per se, but on exercise programs, reading, name your self-improvement program. I know I’m guilty of making resolution after resolution that I don’t follow through on just because I’m lazy and selfish. (Heck, I felt like I was going to expire from endless waiting at the DMV the other day. Torture!)

But I’ve also seen that it’s possible to decide to do something and do it, even though you think you may not be able to. Running a marathon for instance, or even just running a 5K.  Running a mile for some people. A person of average health should be able to will themselves to run a mile.

There are a lot of things that sound overwhelming, but can be accomplished simply by doing and not overthinking.  Learning a language. Moving is another one. Traveling with kids.  Cooking dinner.  Fixing a toilet flusher.  Waiting in line.

The lady who had the irrational phobia of snakes wasn't even able to go outside in snake season, from the time she was little. When she found out she was coming to Guam, she had to make herself look at snakes so that she wouldn’t be afraid to go outside. She went to see a therapist, but he wanted to talk about dreams, so she made up her own program to gradually get used to looking at snakes, including watching a snake show on tv, which she wasn’t able to do before, and buying a toy snake.

I tend to be skeptic about therapists.  Could people who are depressed cure themselves by getting outside and doing some hard labor, so they stop thinking about how bad life is?  Someone mentioned that the new thing is to tell returning soldiers that they shouldn’t accept a diagnosis of PTSD as a label because then they will allow themselves to use it as a crutch or an excuse to avoid change and responsibility. Could the same be said of some people who are diagnosed with depression, or, as Laura Hillenbrand was, with chronic fatigue symptom, or other disorders that are difficult to pinpoint physically?

Even though I agree to an extent with the lady who thought people hold the power of change in their mind, I tend to think that that there are people who are just wired differently.  The guy who dies in the boat when Zamp and Phil survive may have been one of them. Maybe he let himself die because he felt guilty about eating the one chocolate bar they possessed, or because he didn’t share the connection that the other two had. Maybe his will was weak, but maybe he just didn’t have a temperament that allowed him to stay focused on living.

Of course, men of all types of personalities survived the POW camps, despite sickness, beatings and deprivation.  Did Louis have an even stronger constitution to withstand the extra beatings he receives because he was an Olympic runner, or did he simply will himself to stay alive?

Can someone train themselves to be more positive? Can someone change their temperament through will and practice? 

The example that came up was the Navy wife who never is happy where she is stationed, versus those who make the best of it, who make friends and explore. In a way this is a question of survival.  If you don’t have a choice to pick up and move across the country or across the world, you do have a choice whether to enjoy it, or to be miserable thinking that everything is better somewhere else.

I like to pride myself on my endurance and tolerance for pain.  I can run and run and run. I can drag children across the world.  I can push six kids through a tiny hole into the world without pain killers and drag them in and out of ER’s and temper tantrums.  But could I survive the privations that Louis undergoes? Could I beat back sharks and catch and kill an albatross and eat it raw?  Could I stand up under repeating beatings and punishments while suffering from dysentery and starvation?  Then overcome alcoholism and flashbacks in a single conversion moment? Is that a miracle? Was Louis Zamperini given extra gifts from God, or was he just good at using the gifts God gave him?

3 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Somehow this makes me think of a comment I saw one time, I think it was on Conversion Diary, from a woman who evidently is blessed to not suffer from morning sickness or exhaustion or other aches and pains of pregnancy. In fact, she said she ran marathons while she was pregnant. Her comment said something to the effect that all of us women who complain and moan about feeling bad during pregnancy need to just get off our duffs and go run like she does. It is all in our heads and we need to stop being such wimps. She simply couldn't believe that pregnancy really is just physically draining and demanding for some women.

Could I train myself to just ignore the morning sickness and the exhaustion and power through pregnancy? Am I coddling myself by cutting myself slack and letting go of many priorities during that time of gestating a baby? I dunno. I don't think it's all in my head. I think her attitude betrays a severe lack of empathy and imagination. She can't imagine what it's like to have severe morning sickness or to be so exhausted you can barely drag yourself to the couch and it's a labor to keep your eyes open so the toddler doesn't kill herself.

I think perhaps some people's "depression" can be cured by hard work and exercise and better diet and positive thinking. But I think to write off severe depression as the same thing as "the blues" and to say you just need to get over it shows a similar lack of imagination. I think some people are wired differently. I think chemical imbalances are real and that for some people just getting out of bed in the morning is a monumental task. I don't think it is laziness or lack of willpower, as tempting as it is to write it off as such.

My sister who lives with us is suffering from chronic migraines and several other chronic conditions. She has weeks where she basically sleeps all day, getting up only to eat. She goes to work, comes home and sleep. And she has severe insomnia at night. It is so tempting to slip into a way of thinking about it that gets mad at her. If she'd just get herself on a decent sleep schedule, then she wouldn't have the insomnia. She just needs to power through the headaches, not let them keep her in bed. But then I know how I am when I have a migraine (every three or four or six months) I can do nothing but lie in my bed and pray that the pain will go away. The last time I was kneeling in front of the toilet praying I might be able to throw up because at the time I was convinced it might actually make me feel better. If I imagine trying to live with that kind of pain all day every day, then I begin to wonder why my sister hasn't gone stark raving mad. The sheer force of willpower it must take to get her through a shift at work must be more willpower than I have. And yet some days it's simply not enough.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

to continue...

I guess what I'm saying is that it's so hard to compare one person's situation with another. They're really all unique, no matter how much they may look alike. Even the two guys in the same lifeboat aren't really playing with the same deck of cards. Each man has a different history, each one has different strengths and different weaknesses.

Or to put it another way, it takes a long time and a strong will to overcome an irrational phobia of snakes; it can't be done overnight. So you have to judge her reaction differently on day one than you do on day one hundred. And you can't compare someone who has been working steadily to overcome her phobia with someone who doesn't have a phobia at all. The therapists I used to work for would have advised the woman you knew to do the exact thing that she did, congnitive-behavioral modification. They had no truck with talking about dreams.

I'm not so sure about rejecting the PTSD diagnosis. I think a diagnosis can become a crutch, but at the same time refusing to acknowledge that you have a problem can lead to more and bigger problems. I remember reading something about the high rates of domestic violence and spousal abuse in returning soldiers. Could a PTSD diagnosis and therapy help prevent those problems? Could rejecting the diagnosis inoculate against them?

Sorry, I'm not sure what my point is or if I have one. Just that you got me thinking and wondering in about half a dozen different directions.

Emily J. said...

Melanie - I hesitated posting this because, just like you said, the conversation could go in multiple directions, and there are so many variations on the theme. For instance, willing yourself to survive torture is something different from willing yourself to be happy. (Which is another conversation - is happiness overrated? Like your post on peace - it's a word that's been overused and emptied.) And I think Louis Zamperini did have a conversion experience that was something of a miracle. And while my friend at book club has transformed herself into a triathlete, she is never going to make herself into an Olympic triathlete. So there is definitely a physical limit to what can be accomplished through will power. But even just a handful of sports psychology sessions on visualization and mental relaxation (the same practices that are used in meditation) back in college showed me that mental training could improve physical performance a great deal.
And like you said, a lot of "mental" problems are physical or chemical in nature and can't be willed away, like PTSD. My understanding of what the lady who shared that anecdote was saying was that the soldiers were receiving treatment, but part of that treatment was directed toward retraining how they thought of themselves.
The mind is fascinating. I tend to think Louis Zamperini had special gifts from God, and he used them well to inspire others.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket