Thursday, May 1, 2014

On Charity

One of the perks of having a baby is that people treat you really nicely.  People at the grocery smile and hold the door. People in the neighborhood wave.

The teachers and classmates of my kids still love to peek at the baby when I arrive at pickup.

The neighbors have helped out with the trash and watching my middle kids.

The moms group at church and the Navy wives have been bringing us gourmet meals.

We've received diapers, dolls, books, dresses, and more onesies than I know what to do with.

I feel a little overwhelmed by all these gifts.  Definitely unworthy and undeserving.  I don't even really know most of these people very well - we've only been here 10 months now. I have a husband who cooks and helps with the kids and I have older kids who know how to fix their own lunches and do dishes and laundry.  I've got it pretty good around here, so I'm a little embarrassed to be at the receiving end of so much generosity.  I've told people not to worry when they ask if they can bring a meal. And then they show up with lasagna or pulled pork or spaghetti and meatballs or croissant sandwiches.

It's embarrassing to receive charity, but as my husband has pointed out, people want to help. Just say thank you, he tells me. Stop trying to take away their opportunity to serve.

They don't need to serve me, I want to say. But it's a lesson in humility to me to accept their generosity, to allow them into our messy little house with food and gifts.  I pass around the baby (even though I am still a little nervy about germs); everyone loves to hold a newborn. The kids come in smiling, excited about what's on the menu tonight. (It's all been really good - they only complained about a zucchini gratin that actually was delicious and the fourth lasagna.) Sometimes I send the kids out to pick avocados or lemons to send along. Thank goodness for the bounty of the yard, so that I can give something in return, although I don't need to.

These new friends give more than just a meal - they give me inspiration to be more generous myself, to be more open to my need for help and friendship, to be more alert to the needs in this community that has welcomed us so kindly.
I just keep wanting to give this baby kisses.

2 comments:

Margaret in Virginia said...

Me, too.... I want to give that baby kisses!

I understand what you say, how uncomfortable it is to have people giving to you when you don't really NEED it. But Dan is right! And you know from your own experience that it gives people joy to serve. Many of us are in awe of families like yours. We are eager to be a part of it, in some small way, even just by giving a gift, or feeding those wonderful children. Then we feel like we BELONG to this wonderful thing that you are doing; your witness to a full and joyful life in Christ.
(You may observe that I have not, in fact, fed your family or given a gift! But I know the urge to be part of it. I think people are drawn by your lived witness.)
Love to all of you!

Emily J. said...

Margaret, your kind words are a gift! Thanks. I know I have felt the same way about wanting to help others, and when we received meals when the kids were younger, or when someone would take the kids to play, I definitely needed the help. And since I feel somewhat awkward about having this baby, I feel more self-conscious - I should be helping the younger mothers, not them bringing help to me! But it is appreciated - one of the teenagers told me I should have babies more often so we can eat so well! I am recommitted to paying it forward.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket