Last weekend was another three day weekend because of a teacher work day. The day off allowed our family a little time to do some exploring on Sunday. The kids are never excited about going hiking, but we had a day with nothing on the schedule, so we pushed them out the door to go check out one of the local trails.
The trail we chose was another suburban park following the Penasquitos Creek through a small valley or canyon. To get there, you drive slowly between traffic signals down a 4 lane street lined with strip malls and fast food joints, turn into a recreation area not far from the interstate, and then find a tree-lined path along a creek that travels three miles to a waterfall and then onward. It's surprising how peaceful and natural the area seems in the middle of a very urban area. But like our hikes in Mission Trails and Torrey Pines parks, this trail wasn't quiet and unpopulated. Lots of people have the same idea for a mild, sunny Sunday afternoon. Hikers, mountain bikers, trail runners and horse back riders all share the same rocky path.
But it was very pretty - sycamore trees, live oaks, water in the creek bed rushing over the rocks, and cacti. And, as usual, as soon as we were out of the car, the kids' sense of adventure and the invigorating fresh air kicked in, and they were off exploring. The pre-teens ran on and off the path and in and out of the creek. The teens strolled behind us talking. The toddler slept fitfully in the backpack.
This is the memory of the weekend I want to file away. Not the meltdown by one of the high schoolers about a bad grade on a final. Not the anxiety about the middle schooler going to the mall with friends and then seeing a movie full of bad language. Not the moment when I nearly throttled the 11 year old because he was sneaking off with my phone AGAIN to play a video game instead of doing the chores he was assigned. Not the exasperation of finding the toddler covered in ground cloves that she emptied out of the spice drawer. (At least she smelled good.)
I have mixed emotions when I see the photos friends have posted of the snow storm on the East Coast. We had been pencilled in to go to Washington, D. C. this tour, instead of staying in California. My husband reminds me that I think it is cold here; he finds me bundled in sweatshirts when he gets home. I would be freezing in temperatures below forty. But my sense of nostalgia has kicked in, and I miss those days when you had nothing to do except make hot chocolate and read books because you couldn't go anywhere. But just as fondly do I treasure these days of coppery sunshine and coastal breezes where we stroll along with nowhere to get to quickly.
In the Shadow of the Past
2 months ago

1 comment:
When I began reading your post, I hoped you were going to say that the kids had a good time once they got out on the trail :-) Wise parents you are to be firm about that, because kids really don't know what they need much of the time. It won't be long and you'll be blessed by having grandchildren whose parents like to take them into the outdoors frequently, because they learned that lifestyle from you. It's the greatest setting and activity for family time, isn't it?
Post a Comment