We went as a day trip, a short drive under 2 hours, but we felt like we were stepping onto another continent as we drove down the streets of the French Quarter before pulling into a cramped parking garage that seemed identical to one where we parked in Spain two years ago. A stark contrast to the drive through the desert of urban blight on the eastern outskirts of the city. Remnants of Katrina’s destruction still linger.
I suppose everyone who has been to the city has been transported in a similar way. The narrow streets, the tiles on the walls, the wrought iron balconies and columns on the buildings all make you feel you’ve crossed the Atlantic. We peeked into an old hotel that had once been a convent, the doorman telling us to check out the ballroom. The kids tramped up the curving staircase in their jeans and tennis shoes, but surely weren’t we all in our finest under the crystal chandeliers? Peeking out the shuttered balcony, we could see across the street evidence that this wasn’t all maintained as a tourist destination. Someone actually lived in those garrets…not Sara Crewe, but someone with raggedy curtains and a window air conditioner. Had to be hot, even malarial, in the summer.
After consuming beignets and café au lait, we spent the morning walking up and down the streets. Watched the fortune tellers set up in front of the basilica, peeked in shops, hunted out the little building that now houses Faulkner House Books, which about hundred years ago, once housed William Faulkner and a friend while Faulkner wrote his first book, Soldiers’ Pay. It’s a narrow little building, and you can only enter the front room and part of a hallway, which are now lined floor to ceiling with book cases. The hallway houses faded first editions of Faulkner and Flannery O’Connor, Tennessee Williams, Walker Percy, Robert Penn Warren. Look but don’t touch. Even though the space was tiny, hours could easily have been whiled away browsing.
With the fortune tellers in front of St. Louis
Same thing with the many antique stores. We stopped to stare in one that had elephant leg stools, and noticed a beautiful wooden pieta, paint flecking off, on a pedestal surrounded by other statuary. I went inside to peek at the tag to see how old and how much: 1550s, $95,000.
I wonder who will buy that. A church? A collector? Someone who just wants something pretty in their house? What cost beauty?
Too often I’m too cheap to buy pretty things. A house with 6 kids is not a place for 500 year old statues, even if I had a spare hundred thousand. But I wonder if I lived somewhere like the French Quarter, a place that begged for décor, if I’d spend more time and money trying to make my home as pretty on the inside as it is on the outside. Interior decorating is not one of my talents, but every once in a while I see something that would look nice in our house. I’m not one to buy something that we don’t need, except books - and ice cream – but I wonder sometimes if I shouldn’t be more generous with beauty. I’m grateful when someone else was, in these churches and parks and buildings of New Orleans.

3 comments:
Oh the Basilica looks gorgeous! I used to be so Martha Stewart but have given up those perfectionist interior design ways with joy-can't take it with you, after all! I prefer to relax in comfort than to worry about how nice things look.
But yes, beautiful churches, historical sights, how wonderful that they are well cared for and adorned so lovingly so that we may all take in beauty and feel drawn closer to heaven through them!
Love browsing antique stores with my hubby, but like you, cannot believe the prices! My parents were antique dealers and were so attached to their things, my mom used to always complain that she couldn't get to heaven because she loved her antiques too much. She did teach me the value of thrift though, and how to refinish a beat up old piece bought at a second hand store so that it could look as though it is valuable. I'm grateful for that, because beat up old furniture is all we can afford these days, and even if we had nice things, with the kids, nothing stays nice for long!
Thanks for sharing your trip!
I've been following your blog for just a short while, and I love it. I went to grad school at the University of Southern Mississippi (finished in 2008), and I LOVE that region. My husband and I got married in New Orleans, my favorite city on earth. You are so right that it is special. Thanks for the good writing and good memories it invokes!
Welcome, Daisy! New Orleans is fascinating, and I'm already planning a trip back to do the zoo, aquarium, and insectarium with the kids. And then another trip without them to drift around the shops some more!
Anne, I'm a big fan of thrift store finds and hand-me-downs - clothes or furniture. My sister might say I'm too much of a mooch. Every time we move, my husband and I have discussions about whether to buy something (a shelf, table, whatever) cheap and ugly to get by or to do without. Usually we can repurpose something we have to get by.
Post a Comment