In college, my husband studied architecture in a prestigious classical program. He passed on some of his knowledge to me, so now I know a little of the vocabulary of architecture. On one of my running routes, I pass a number of new construction projects. Here is what they say to me:
"Welcome to my Marriott."
"Welcome to Southern Living."
"Welcome to the Brady Bunch."
Okay, this isn't new construction. This is what we rented. Its modern lines spoke to us of easy clean-up and the right price. So we sacrificed on looks.

6 comments:
You know, perversely, I've always liked those Brady Bunch houses. Comfortable, livable space (though split-levels can have dampness problems), and not a fraction of the pretension of the other models. I really can't imagine being happy to get home to the Marriott.
I'm going to secretly agree with Sally. Yuck MArriot. The wedding cake makes my knees hurt thinking about all those stairs. But those long ramblers--they always have more space than they appear to have.
The coast used to have such beautiful houses...I worry about the new constructions. Some are pretty also, though. I have to admit that I'd like to come home to Southern Living. :) LOL about the Brady Bunch. Our house is crazy, architecturally. The front was built in 1899, the middle in the 1920s, and the back in the
1980s! Not sure what we'd call that...
Someone is building a Hilton right next to the Marriott. Well, maybe not quite that big - more of a Ramada, perhaps. But it has the same big drive-in entrance. I just wonder why if you had the money you would build a house that looks like a hotel. Two others on the same street look like bungalows on stilts. Cuter. I wonder if they have a dumb waiter or something to bypass the stairs.
Daisy B., did you go to USM on the coast or in Hattiesburg? I've thought about taking some classes there next semester.
Dunno... I'd live in the Southern Living cottage. I don't mind the stairs because I think there's probably a secret elevator in the garage. The stairs are for show, or to scare off the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Oh, I'd take Southern Living in a heartbeat if someone was giving it away - the stairs fight heart disease.
Post a Comment