Sunday, April 27, 2014

Viva Il Papa!

We've had the canonization Mass playing in the background this morning - the kids are thoroughly impressed with the pomp and circumstance, the tuxes of the dignitaries, the presence of 2 living popes, but no one had the attention span for a 3 hour Mass.

In honor of the canonization of two popes on Divine Mercy Sunday, here, yet again, are photos of the new St. Pope John Paul II from our family archives:

Such a change in vitality over 10 years for Il Papa.  First photo: my (future) husband grasping the hand of the pope after pushing little nuns out of the way to say "Ciao" to John Paul II, who a few handshakes later, turned around and said "Ciao" back.  My future husband was a junior in college, spending the year in Roma to study architecture. He and his classmates lived in a hotel near the Pantheon and lived on coffee and pizza.  He sent me letters with illustrated envelopes at least once a week - an old fashioned courtship. Thankful he didn't use email.

The second photo: my husband's hand can be seen again, holding our first daughter aloft under the Wadowice sign while the Pope made a round in his popemobile at the end of Mother Teresa's beatification Mass. She was about 15 months old and learned to love gelato as we spent about a week visiting holy places in Rome and Assisi.

I wish I had other photos to share. JPII and John XXIII, pray for us.

For Easter our nine year old received this book about his namesake:

It is a little young for him, but cute. 

In between the preparations for Easter and staring at the new baby, we forgot to start the Divine Mercy Chaplet. But this week has brought plenty of opportunities to remind myself to "have trust, have trust."  First, I fear for the baby: I had forgotten how irregular little babies breathe. I find myself checking and rechecking for respiratory distress.  Our niece has had pneumonia, which we found out after she had been over to see the baby, so I have been worried by every little snuffle sound the baby makes, and every cough or sneeze an older sibling makes. We've been going through hand sanitizer and soap quickly. So far no signs of RSV or any other sickness. Baby is flourishing. But I find myself googling things like "when do newborns make eye contact" and "at what age do newborns smile." I feel like some of the other kids were smiling at 2 weeks, but maybe that is my historically inaccurate memory playing tricks. We spend a lot of time staring at baby, morning, noon and night. The irregular hours of sleep have started to take their toll. 

It's during the darktime feedings that I have to remind myself to trust and keep trusting, as my wandering mind imagines the worst for each child. It was spring break week, which brought a boating trip for the teenagers - drowning fears! - a trip to the beach - more drowning fears! and sun cancer! The older boys went on an outing with their "special friends" - ach! dating! heartbreak! mine! The younger kids were invited on sleepovers - do we trust these other parents? And on the few days without events, the kids fought over the baby and complained about boredom - what if they never learn to entertain themselves?! Ahh, the never ending concerns of parenting. How little drama we have actually suffered - a good reason to continue to trust in God's goodness instead of fearing that our turn will come. 

And the goodness of the Lord has been manifest in many ways - the beautiful Easter services, the kindness of our Church, school, and military communities in bringing us delicious things to eat, the glorious coastal weather, our health, and the sweetness of new life. We have every reason to trust and give thanks.

Post Easter Vigil
 



Excited about Easter egg hunting

Not so excited about egg hunting


First round of Easter eats


In her New Zealand woolies

Field trip to the Getty Center.  Kids think this sculpture should
be titled "Help I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!"

St. Catherine of Siena receiving stigmata

Cousins

LA skyline

From the illuminated manuscript special exhibit

Part of the impressive gardens

One of my favorite pictures from the permanent collection: Maria Frederike van Reede-Athlone at Seven
by Jean-Etienne Liotard


A good egg with her Easter basket toys
Almost 3 weeks old. Developing a second and third chin.

3 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

Wait! IS that the Maya wrap? Had I already given it to you?

Emily J. said...

It is. And I have the Moby wrap. I think you must have sent it with Mom in December. Sorry if you spent a bunch of time looking for it - I'm happy to have it!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, wow! She looks like you! =)

I had other things to say about the rest of the post, but of course the baby made me forget them. =P

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket