Another quick life in review: We have had our first week of Advent preparation - Christmas preparation is happening in stages this year. We found the Advent wreath and our countdown calendar at the top of a box, thanks to thinking ahead when repacking last year. We hosted the Young Life group on Monday, so I pulled out the house lights last weekend, and we set up a few greens around the house. Then on St. Nicholas day we set out the shoes - I remembered chocolate coins on time this year - and after a trip to the Post Office to send off some treats to the college students in time for finals week - we set up the nativities and a few more trinkets around the house. Today, for the second Sunday of Advent, I got out the stockings and bought some poinsettias. We'll probably wait to get a tree until next weekend and just string lights until the boys come home from school on the 19th. I sort of like this gradual preparation. Annie made gingerbread men today, so the first batch of Christmas cookies is in the freezer.
This weekend was the first rush of holiday events. Friday was the kick-off to the local events - "Snow Mountain" and the Christmas parade down main street. Then Saturday was packed: The first four hours I spent at the home school mothers' retreat, which was preached by a Nashville Dominican who is teaching in Phoenix. She gave a wonderful talk, delivered with humor and wisdom, about the parable of the talents, reminding us that the talents are not just our gifts that we must use, but our burdens that can also bear fruit. She led off the talk with an anecdote about the bishop of Phoenix sharing his prayer of the week: "Lord, deliver me from the temptation of wishing things were otherwise." I am frequently guilty of giving in to this temptation, as you may have noticed if you read this blog... In fact, I had stayed up late the night before wishing for our situation to be otherwise. One of the kids had said something cutting deep that made me wish I were, yet again, a better mother - at the same time an email about school issues made me wish I were a better teacher - something that would come at the cost of being a better mother. The point was to find ways to be grateful for where we are, and to form our intellect and will to see the good of our situation. In some ways, I chafe against the idea that we should always embrace the "now" because frequently I wonder if change, even drastic change, might sometimes be a good thing - motivated by a desire for a greater good. But maybe that is wishing for things to be otherwise. And I wish I had taken notes because now some of her other insights escape me. The morning retreat and time for fellowship did make me think again about home schooling next year, although I have mixed emotions about it - mainly because I feel I don't do a good job. Back in the day, I thought, "If I only had fewer kids, I"d do a better job." Now it's "If I only had more kids... "
After the retreat, I changed into outfit number 2 for a "Twelve Star" reception on base. This meant it was hosted by the admirals, whose stars add up to 12. I can't remember the exact configuration now. We shook hands with a lot of flag officers, but I think there were 4 three-star admirals who were the official hosts. This was the kind of event where you make small talk for a couple hours and nibble on delicious snacks that you want to gorge on, but no one else is really eating because you don't want to have food in your teeth or eat up all your lipstick before you greet someone else. It actually wasn't as stiff as I anticipated, and we ran into a few friendly acquaintances we have seen for a while, so it was worthwhile.
When that ended, we dashed by the commissary, grabbed stuff for me to make a salad for our next event, and headed home. Got the five-year-old ready for a friend's pig-themed birthday party and sent her off with her sister, while I left in outfit number 3 (or 4 if you count my running clothes from the morning) for the spouses' Christmas potluck and ornament exchange, a slightly awkward event, but still again, an opportunity to connect with friends we haven't seen for a bit. I was so happy when I finally got into outfit number 4, comfy jammies to watch an Office Christmas special with the older teens on the couch.
With so many events crammed into the last weekend, we should have a fairly relaxing Advent. I'm reading Scott Hahn's
Joy To the World for book club, perfect for the season - helping me stay focused.
Below are a few of the events that were photographed last month.
 |
| Recent morning run: "Penelope" watching over the bay |
 |
| Christmas parade! Santa on the fire engine with a cute elf we know... |
 |
| "Snow" in Socal. Mountain of hay bales.. |
 |
| Another pic of our daughter as the friendly elf - a perk of working for the rec. center |
 |
| Grantham the sloth dressed for the holidays |
 |
| From Dad's work - reconfiguring the dunes |
 |
| A funny on the theology professor's door |
 |
| Skateboard artist |
 |
| At the library with my workout clothes on, whom should we meet by Immaculee Ilabigiza |
 |
| My running partner |
 |
| A view of turkeys on the hill in Julian, CA |
 |
| Getting up close and personal with the heron at Living Coast |
 |
| Cross country season's last race |
 |
| Flashback to Day of the Dead altar at church |
 |
I found this on my phone after LK and I had coffee with a friend -
artistic posing of Halloween gift, getting real with my chin |
 |
| Bob and Minnie came for a Halloween visit. Our friend at church, Miss Ginny, made the dress |
 |
| Scout awards... almost Eagle...just some paperwork left |
 |
| Mother-daughter bowling date |
 |
| First college admission, plus an invitation to apply to their Honors program. |
2 comments:
There's so much to love about your post:
1) This description: "This was the kind of event where you make small talk for a couple hours and nibble on delicious snacks that you want to gorge on, but no one else is really eating because you don't want to have food in your teeth or eat up all your lipstick before you greet someone else." :-)
2) Your desire to be a better mother, teacher, everything -- and your making me think about that. One thing about Embracing Now is that it doesn't prevent you from changing, being an improved version of the Last Moment. But thinking about how you will change, or if you are good or bad or worse or better might distract you from the actions you could be engaged in Now.
3) All your outfits for one day - definitely 5, because the workout clothes count - and I'm amazed that you could fit in running at the beginning of such a day. You are so YOUNG.
4) The dunes pic -- does your husband drive that thing himself??
5) "Introducing" me to Immaculee Ilabigiza - I don't think I'd ever heard of her, so if I had seen her at the library, too bad!
6) All the pics :-) of the happy children.
7) That you could make time to write a post with so much going on is very inspiring. Thank you!
Aw, thanks, GretchenJoanna! I certainly did not feel young Sunday morning! My feet let me know they don't like heels! I didn't have time in November to blog anything, and my headspace was all used up, but I'm letting photos do the work here just to remember what life was like - partly to help me recall the blessings. The morning retreat really set the tone for the day - the sister's remarks seemed to be just what I need to hear about the temptation to 'wish otherwise."
Immaculee was in town for a film festival because her book "Left to Tell" is being made into a movie, "91 Nights." It is the story of how she survived the Rwandan genocide by being hidden in a bathroom for three months (the title of the movie). I first read it as part of the book club I was in when we lived in Virginia. It's a moving story and made me aware of how much suffering happens in the world, of which we hear little or nothing.
Post a Comment