Goodbye to another decade! I just realized the kindergartner doesn't understand that the year will change tomorrow as we start a new month, a new year, a new decade. We're still enjoying our Christmas tree and decorations for a few more days and have just returned from a vacation in the Eastern Sierras - the same place we went last year to enjoy snow, mountain air, and family togetherness. Again, we met up with the cousins and stayed in a house with beds for 22, a fire place and hot tub, and access to trails around a glacial lake. It was not a huge house, but cozy and spacious enough to not feel cramped. We played board games, cards, and read. The kids did check their phones, but not as much as they are usually tempted to do. We went into Mammoth for lunch, groceries, a Mass with an excellent Feast of the Holy Family homily, and a trip to the ER for stitches and a broken thumb after the five year old shut her thumb in the car door. I admittedly had more trouble relaxing this time than I did last year, perhaps because of the thumb incident. And one kid is still in a knee brace after ACL surgery and the other is only a month post-op, so both of them were limited in their outdoor play. Somehow the days went by so fast, I never felt like I settled in, although I did love my vigorous hike alone one morning during which I mused on the direction life might take next year and tried to come to peace with some upcoming changes, past disappointments, and future desires. All very new yearish thoughts. It was timely that this morning's Wall Street Journal had an article about how negative events stay with us more than positive ones. I certainly recognize the tendency in myself to dwell more on personal flaws and regrets than successes. (One of my favorite gifts under the Christmas tree: My kids pitched in for a subscription to WSJ - student rate, but still. Second favorite - a new watch. My experiment in watchlessness was frustrating. Kids mostly received clothes this year, half of which I took back, as usual. A couple kids got just what they wanted (the youngers), but the olders have upcoming or just-past travel that they received funding for. Next year I plan to do Merry Thriftsmas gifts...)
A few photos to share, then I have to get back to cleaning for a new year's teen gathering...
2 comments:
I hope you can get all the children together at least once a year for a LONG time! These pictures are so heartwarming. I had thought that my kids hadn't been together since their father's funeral, but I was wrong. Three years ago they also managed to get here on the same day, thought it wasn't Christmas Day either time. You are all beautiful, praise God. Happy New Year!
Thanks, GretchenJoanna - Happy New Year to you! I had that thought in Mass - it's rare that we are all there together, and it may not last long. Already the oldest has left to spend some time with his fiancee. It's a good reminder to be grateful for these moments. Having the olders around helps the youngers get along better. . .
Post a Comment