I'm only a little or a LOT behind the power curve on Christmas - sorry, godchildren and grandparents, you are getting Epiphany presents this year... unless I hit a Christmas miracle sale, I'll be shopping on Christmas Eve, most likely.
Today instead of shopping, I cleaned house for my college kids coming home, and then took son number 4 to the hospital for ACL repair on his knee. This is the third ACL surgery our family has had THIS YEAR. And our oldest had his repaired summer 2018, too. Weak Anterior Cruciate Ligaments must run in our family. It is something of an elective surgery - nonathletes can carry on in life quite well without one, but young, athletic boys will only destabilize their knees and cause worse damage without repair. They will probably all need knee replacement surgery in the future.
At any rate, it is a fairly routine surgery, although each of the three this year have been different (with different doctors). One used the patellar tendon to repair, one used the hamstring tendon, and this doctor used the quadriceps tendon. This doctor, who used to work with the US Olympic Ski Team, gave me a good explanation for the differences. He has been quite reassuring and came highly recommended. My only concern is that my son's surgery was scheduled for 3:20 this afternoon, and took place at 4:30 or so. The recovery room nurse told me the unit had had 100 surgeries that day (this is at a large Children's Hospital). So I'm a little worried about the fatigue of our service providers. But here's hoping all that practice pays off in the form of a well-done repair that holds up to the beating I'm sure it will receive in a few months, when Son #4, the most rough and tumble of them all since Day 1, is cleared for activity. (if not before)
And now for your viewing pleasure, while I go finish grading papers... and browsing Amazon aimlessly:
 |
| Warm enough to swim ... for a minute |
 |
| Hydrangeas blooming in ombre coloring |
 |
| Getting ready for Favorite Things first ballet performance - a new era in our house... |
 |
| Ride the lights - You can't really tell from this photo how many bikers were out for this annual event |
Work Christmas party #2
 |
| Snow in Southern California? Thanks, Navy base! |
No comments:
Post a Comment