Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bedtime Reading

Started reading Abel's Island by William Steig to the kids. I loved it as a kid, which along with Felix Salten's Fifteen Rabbits, I read more than once - unusual for me. Reading it again, I have to ask why I liked it so much, other than it's an animal story, has Steig's grown up vocabulary, and the mice wear handsome 1920ish attire, like something from J. Peterman. I don't think I picked up on the fact it's a rework of Robinson Crusoe, and probably would've liked it less if I had known. Maybe I desired my own room so much I loved the idea of my own island even better. So tonight I could sympathize with my melancholic son, who moaned about wanting his own room as the youngers, supposedly listening, steam rolled and hooted and hollered at each other. I don't blame him for wanting a little piece and quiet.





Maybe it's time for a canoe.

No comments:

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket