Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Corrections/Additions

Yesterday evening I received a very nice note from Cindy of the butterfly sighting site, Journey North, which gently and with tact questioned whether perhaps what I might have seen was the Gulf Fritillary, which migrates earlier than the Monarch and only goes so far as Florida. After examining the photos she sent (and realizing that the butterflies I saw were heading east), I concede she is correct. The Gulf Fritillary is a Monarch mocker.  Perhaps if I had spent more time helping my brother with his entomology projects in 4th grade, I would've realized, although I'm pretty sure the Gulf Fritillary is not often found in Indiana. This new knowledge hasn't lessened the delight of the experience, but made me realize that although insect identifiers might not receive as much attention from marketers as bird watchers, they still have a fascinating hobby.


Yesterday evening I also talked on the phone to my husband, who is still in Africa. Ramadan has just ended, so the Djiboutian interpreters brought in to the office a meal to share: young roast goat, a salad with tuna, carrots and peas, rice, simosas, fish, bread. A feast. A moment of communion between Muslims and Christians. A small bridge built.


Djibouti

Ugandan cornfield
Ugandan homesMy handsome husband on a small bridge built by Seabees in Uganda
A little boy with miraculous medal enjoying his sweets from the Seabees.

More beautiful photos from Kenya on my sister's other friend's blog.

No comments:

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket