Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Getting Started

Perhaps if I start my own blog, I won't spend so much time reading other people's postings and feeling small for not accomplishing more with my time. And I'm hoping to centralize a place to note thoughts on what I've read, what we've done, what's going on, so that as my memory declines, I'll have a place to come and jog it, instead of trying to remember where I jotted something. The thought of starting a blog has been intimidating because there are so many good ones out there - what's the point of adding more mediocrity to the pool? But a note in a book I was browsing the other night encouraged me to get started. From Katherine Patterson's The Invisible Child: "When I protested to [her mentor] that I didn't want to add another mediocre writer to the world, she gently reminded me that if I didn't dare mediocrity, I would never write anything at all."

So this is the answer to a dare.

And I finally settled on a title that wasn't taken.

No comments:

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket