Sunday, February 7, 2010

Little House

Happy Birthday, Laura Ingalls Wilder!



Who didn't want to live in a little log house in the big Wisconsin woods? This is me, dreaming of a being a pioneer girl, in about 4th grade. I had a plan to become president and make the United States go back to the way it was in pioneer days, except I would allow modern medicine. That was the power of Wilder's writing. (I suppose it was the influence of Marlo Thomas and Free to be You and Me that I didn't see any discrepancy in being a girl president.)

Coincidentally, my second grader and I just started reading Little House in the Big Woods together a few days ago.

4 comments:

Daisy B. said...

I loved her books too...and the older I get, the more I realize what a feat it was to write them! Yesterday I visited Malone, where Almanzo was from. (I live in northern New York.) "Farmer Boy" and "The Long Winter" were my favorite of her books and they are one reason I wanted to live up here all my life -- and now I do!

Emily J. said...

You know, now that you bring it up, it does seem like most of the exciting parts of Little House in the Big Woods are during the winter. And remember the big snow in one of the other books - is it The Long Winter? - when Pa had to tie a line to the barn so he wouldn't get lost trying to feed the animals? I can see how you would want to live that adventure. How exciting to fulfill that dream!

Anne said...

I love the picture! So sweet! My favorite was a small picture book that my kids used to read over and over again-"Dance at Grandpa's". It's one of those that I just can't ever pass on. I will always treasure it!

BettyDuffy said...

Been listening to those Marlo Thomas CDS Mom gave us--might have to confiscate them.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket