Friday, February 26, 2010

Quick Takes without Complaints




1. After all my moaning yesterday, my sixth grader place 2nd in the physics category of the science fair! A minor miracle! I’m sure it is not because he earned extra points on creativity and neatness, but because he gave a good presentation to the judges, since he knew what he had done.



2. Daffodils are blooming! The end of drear February is near. Welcome spring! I don’t see a lot of bulbs coming up around here; they must not do as well with the short winters as they do up in the north, where the first daffodils arrive around the end of March or so. But these few blooming around the entrance of the library are a welcome harbinger.



3. Completed and filed taxes and now am planning what to do with the money the government pays me to have children in the form of the child tax credit, if Mr. IRS doesn’t announce an audit…



4. When I passed a house under construction on my run with the lab today, a construction worker called out “Beautiful Day!” Another said, “Beautiful dog!” Beautiful indeed. And beautiful work they were doing! Spring sunshine makes everything seem a little prettier.



5. Books in the mail! My father in law sent some thrillers to pass the time with, and my new old copy of Caryll Houselander’s Way of the Cross arrived from some Benedictines’ library, providentially. It begins with reflections like this:
                 "The Stations of the Cross are not given to us only to remind us of the historical Passion of Christ but to show us what is happening now, and happening to each one of us."

                      and "Each one meets himself on the Via Crucis, which is the road through death to life. In Christ he finds the meaning of his own suffering, the power of his own capacity for love. . . . The stations show us how each one can lighten the heavy cross that is laid upon the bent back of the whole human race now, how each one in the power of Christ's love can sweeten his own suffering and that of those around him."

Thanks for the recommendation, Anne.



6. A letter, a letter, I love a love letter! I love seeing my name written by my husband’s hand. Emails are for business and spies, phone calls are for catching up and feeling distant, but letters are a physical presence, transcenders of time when they take 20 days to arrive, tangible joys to be revisited.



7. I got a hair cut I like, and it was free! My mom trimmed it up while she was here.


Welcome, weekend!

Thanks, Jen, for hosting.

6 comments:

Daisy B. said...

Daffodils? And we just had a big snow! :) I'm so excited for you that you got a letter! You are right: They are the BEST! (P.S. Your hair looks pretty.)

Anonymous said...

That is a cute haircut! And I love the positive energy of your takes.

Anonymous said...

#6 made me smile, thank you and enjoy your letter!

Emily J. said...

Thanks, ladies! Love the look of your blogs! More bright spots . . .

Anne said...

I am jealous of the daffodil! I can't wait to see them here in the frigid north! I'm so glad that you are enjoying "The Way of the Cross" Caryll Houselander is a genius! Receiving a love letter in the mail sounds wonderful! And, your hair cut is cute! I like how the little one is looking at you!

Great quicktakes! Enjoy your weekend!

Maia said...

Thanks for your thoughts on letter writing! I went to write a letter a week or so ago and realised that I didn't stock stamps and envelopes yet -- which made it hit home just how sorrowfully antiquated the art is becoming in my life. I love your words, "Emails are for business and spies..."

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket