Tuesday, February 2, 2010

You'll just have to believe me

Today after school, the younger set and I walked the dog down to the public pier. Since the tide was out, they immediately jumped off the pier into the sand and walked among the cypress knees and swamp grass, or whatever it is, and found a bunch of trash, shells, and what I thought were raccoon tracks. Followed those awhile before it was time to head back home, without discovering where they ended.

Later, on the way home from soccer practice in the dark, I spied a furry animal rambling along the bayside of the road. Our friend the raccoon, I thought. But as we neared each other, I realized the little guy was a fox with a bit of mouse or crawdad between his jaws. Bear in mind that the lot where MDOT parks its boats is across the street, all lit up to scare away thieves, so I had a clear view, and it was not a cat nor a dog nor a coyote. He trotted right up to the grass next to our big car, buried his catch, and then stood and stared at us as curiously as we stared at him. Then he hopped over the pier, just like my five yr old had done earlier, and disappeared in the sea grass.  We'll look for his tracks - and his catch - tomorrow if we have time.

And of course, I didn't have the camera.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I believe you! Glad that one of the little's didn't walk right into his nest and wake him. Makes you wonder when the wildlife is so approachable...rabies? Next sighting - a GATOR!?

Kate said...

You haven't seen one yet?!?!? I'm still feeling jipped that we didn't have a sighting at Thanksgiving. I would have settled for a fox though - that's pretty neat.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket