Thursday, February 25, 2010

Science Fair

The beginning of Lent happened to fall around the time that science fair projects are due, so instead of being prayerful and reposed, a meek and mild Mary, I have been a screaming meanie of late. Envision me with flames jumping out of my scalp, eyes blazing laser beams, a whip snapping at my side – and throw in spandexed legs ending in stilettos to complete the image of how projects of this nature affect me.


The problem is that I know ¾ of the parents will do the poster board for their children. However, I do not like to cut and paste. My boys don’t enjoy it much either. I refuse to spend large amounts of cash for decorative borders and fancy stickers that will end up in the trash. It pains me enough to have to purchase these trifold boards, which, try as we may to remove the last bits of glue and paper after the projects are returned, can never really be reused. And it’s supposedly the kids’ projects anyway, not a competition to see whose parents are most creative.


Ask me why I stress about these things, but I can’t answer. Perhaps because I was scarred by that C I received on my first science fair project way back when science fairs first came into style. Perhaps because my kids come home grouchy and disappointed because they never win even honorable mention in these kinds of things. They want so badly to do well. And yet I can’t get them to channel that desire for perfection into actual practice for perfection. If you want to do well, you have to do the work, I say, because I refuse to do the work for you. I will groan and moan when you say you are finished and your project looks sloppy enough even for my lax standards. I will share that sinking feeling when you see your classmates’ nicely manicured boards come into class free from the bendy marks left from where your little brother danced on your board or you sister threw her backpack on it. I don’t care if you don’t win.

I just hope you don’t get a C.


But this was not supposed to be a post about science fairs; it was supposed to be about my lack of growth in Maryism during this Lent. Maybe I’ll get around to that tomorrow. My husband also tactfully suggested on the phone the other night that I should give up worrying. Now that would be a sacrifice.

3 comments:

Kayla Fay said...

Your post made me laugh - and cringe with remembrance. We have four sons, and I had the same loathing that you do. The fact that I now write about science projects for a living is nothing short of a miracle.

As for recycling the boards - you can cover them with cheap fabric and use them over and over. Or you can simply recycle the project itsef: Science Projects for More Than One Kid

BTW, about your lack of spiritual growth. I have a sneaking feeling that you're growing steadily along, but you just can't tell. One day, you'll look back and see how far you've come. Just know that God sees the growth as it happens - even if you don't.

Daisy B. said...

Mary wouldn't have done Jesus's science fair project. She knew he could do things on his own. Her child was the son of God, but all children are God's, really. So if she's the guide for mothers, you seem to be following her in that respect, giving guidance and protection but not interference. Or, possibly, I am just being on your side because I like your writing and you live in Mississippi...but let's go with, "You're more like Mary than you think." :)

Anonymous said...

cience Fairs!
Get ready for this year's science fair with a MEET ME AT THE CORNER, Virtual Field trip to Baylor University to meet Janice VanCleave, the author of dozen of books about science and science fair projects. Young grace (age 11) learns about what goes into making an award winning science fair project.

MEET ME AT THE CORNER, Virtual Field Trips for Kids (www.meetmeatthecorner.org)
is a series of free educational video pod casts is directed at kids ages 7-12. Each three-minute episode includes links to fun websites, a list of recommended books and a Learning Corner of questions and extended activities about the topic.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket