Friday, February 12, 2010

Quick Takes

Thanks, Jen, for hosting!

**1**

50 cent

= crude rapper

or the price of a fun book off the book sale rack at the library.

**2**
I have a new deskmate: my son’s pet Parakeet Percy (named because my son saw a Walker Percy book sitting on the shelf; the bird is not named after Percy Jackson the Lightening Thief, or Percy Weasley, Ron’s snivelly big brother.) Although I regret the space of my desk that the bird’s cage consumes, I don’t mind having the company. In fact, it was me probably more than anyone who wanted the bird, even though now we’ll have to find someone to watch him when we travel. We went to the pet shop to look at fish, and what do you know – parakeets on sale! Percy was the last blue one left.


Percy is the second budgie we have had. Lady lived only a few short months a year or so ago. Lady was yellow, which was not my oldest’s first choice, but she seemed the tamest bird in the cage at Animal Jungle, our favorite pet shop in Virginia Beach: where else can you get alligators, feed the stingrays, admire tortoises, monkeys, and ocelots (not for sale), as well as all the usual suspects, plus an extremely large fish section. Pets were big business in Va Bch. There were two doggie daycares near our house, a handful of groomers, and a dog stuff boutique.
We did get fish, too.

**3**
I promised new pets after we moved. But here it has been 7 months, and I hadn’t delivered. Easy to make a promise, harder to keep. But I enjoy the animals as much or more than the kids. I'll buy into the argument for pets as an aid to contemplation. They make you stop and stare.  I can see why owning a pet can lower your blood pressure, although when your dog wants to be fed at 5:30 on a snow day, your blood pressure may rise.

**4**
We did get a few flakes of snow today, justifying the day off of school. I think our administrators didn't want to be left out of the blizzard the rest of the country is experiencing.



**5**
 
Made granola the other day after a trip to the health food store to get things like flax seed, pepitoes, and wheat bran (and Dr. Bronner's soap, which I was introduced to by Dr. Bronner's grandson, who lived across the street from us years ago with his cheerful and pretty blond wife. I wonder what Dr. Bronner, with his aphorisms like "Smile, help teach the whole Human race, the Moral ABC of All-One-God-Faith, Lightning-like strong & we're All-One! All-One!" and reworkings of Chaucer, Longfellow, and Kipling all over the bottles of his soap, thought about his grandon being a fighter pilot in the Navy). I like to fancy myself a little bit crunchy. But just around the edges. For example, after Miss C and I made granola, we rolled out homemade sugar cookies for the kids’ Valentine’s parties.  But I frosted them with the stuff from a can because I can’t stand to waste all that butter on some cookies that will be crumbled on a classroom floor. (The parties were cancelled along with school today, so I have 4 dozen cookies to get rid of before Wednesday. I will be really, really disappointed if our parochial school pushes back the Valentines'/Mardi Gras party they were supposed to have today to Ash Wednesday. Surely they won't, but my son said his teacher said they might).

**6**
There is a thin line between crunchy and cheap. How many “green” things have I done – cloth diapers for the first 3, hanging laundry on the line, keeping the thermostat low – because I want to conserve energy and matter, and how much have I done because I want to conserve money? Has my frugality cheated my kids out of some pleasures (for instance, new bikes instead of thrift store junkers)? Does it matter if thriftiness and guilt motivate me to reuse plastic bags and send reusable water bottles instead of juice boxes in the lunch boxes, more than a sense of stewardship?

**7**
A list for Lent:
Giving up:
Sugar
I'd say alcoholic drinks, but since my husband is gone, I don't drink them anyway.
Looking at blogs after 10 pm (when I'm more liable to get lulled into excessive clicking and commenting...)
 
Adding in:
Mass at least 3x a week
Going to bed by 11
Reading Peter Kreeft's Prayer for Beginners, Kathleen Norris' Amazing Grace, and I want to order something by Caryll Houselander.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Oh do order the Caryll Houselander! Her Way of the Cross would be lovely for Lent, but the Reed of God is wonderful too! I'm with you on all the greenery-I used cloth diapers for all the kids, wash and reuse plastic ziploc bags, I used to make my own diaper wipes out of paper towels and baby soap(that was probably crunchy!), and love the thrift stores for bikes, furniture and lots more. I don't think it makes your kids suffer, I think it teaches them frugality.

Finally, we've had two blue parakeets, both named Elvis. It's been many years since the last Elvis died. I don't miss the feathers all over the house, but the company was nice.

Great list!

This Heavenly Life said...

I think frugality goes hand in hand with being 'green'. Us buying less new junk makes the world a cleaner place, and I don't think it matters why that happens -- just that it happens. I need to do better on both counts, though :/

Rae said...

I love libraries book sale racks!

And I agree that green and frugal go hand in hand. Obviously you do not want to be "cheap" with your children, but there are many forms of stewardship, and one is not wasting your money so that you can spend/give it for more important things. It sounds as if you are doing a really great job.

Meredith said...

I'm fascinated by the Bronner fighter pilot!

I am mostly frugal in order to conserve our own resources, but I am pleased at how often the utilitarian and the idealistic overlap.

Emily J. said...

Anne - Way of the Cross on order! (a used edition...)

Heavenly, Rae, and Meredith - love your thoughts on frugality. That "overlap" of the utilitarian and idealistic is the place to be, I think. There are so many prettily packaged, tempting "green" products out there, but buying and consuming less is really the best sustainable practice... I'm happy to say the kids don't complain about bringing home their lunch baggies. They apparently don't get teased for recycling!

Meredith, just checked in at your blog - love the links from the conference you attended. Sounds like fun!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket