Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Latest movies

Well, it is a good thing Lent is around the corner because I already have started bad habits since my husband left Monday afternoon: staying up until midnight reading blogs and then having a slice of sympathy chocolate cake before going to bed. And not just plain chocolate cake: chocolate cake with chocolate chips, chocolate pudding, and chocolate cream cheese frosting.




A movie not to watch when your husband is getting ready to leave for 7 months:

The Exorcism of Emily Rose.



But I can see why it received so many rave reviews.

A movie that is not so well put together but made good family watching:

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story.



My seventh grader had to read the book this movie on which this movie was based for school. It’s the autobiography of an African-American pediatric neurologist who works his way from failing school to going to Yale and then to Johns Hopkins med school and then to doing hemispherectomies and separating conjoined twins. It has a very pro-life, pro-reading, pro- diligence, pro-faith message.

4 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

Emily Rose woke me up at three am for about two months. I had to remove the clock from our bedroom in order to sleep through the night.

GretchenJoanna said...

I see you are not following my advice and eating the chocolate at breakfast time....but truthfully, I don't often follow that advice. Breakfast is the time to be resolute and plan to never eat chocolate again.

Emily J. said...

Gretchen - I think I need to make some more granola and throw in some really good chocolate chips and get my cereal and choc fix in one.

BD - I keep seeing faces at the window: that Spanish moss blowing in the live oak out back plays tricks.

Daisy B. said...

I'll take your advice...My husband just left for a year also, so I'll not be watching anything that even might be scary. And I'm with you on the chocolate cake! :)

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
-Lemony Snicket